The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

To Bob Jenkins, re SPAM

Since you've disabled PM for yourself, and locked the SPAM thread, I'll post this here. Feel free to remove it after you read it, since this really should be a PM.

In spite of my somewhat snarky response in the softball board, we need to work out some accommodation that keeps the board readable while not flooding you with messages. I'm not sure what that is, but when the spammer posts in a half dozen threads at nearly the same time, (his spamming software works around your frequent posts trap by timing the posts to every 2 minutes, it seems), since not everyone is interested in the same subjects, you will inevitably get multiple posts reported.

And, I also agree with the complaint that once the spam is removed, the "reported" message should also be removed. Hopefully, that would not have that thread show up as having new messages if the member had already read all of the other postings in that thread.

As much as this is a pain for members, I understand it is a bigger PITA for you. Maybe Officiating.com could set up one of the regular softball forum readers with the power to remove spam, so reporting would no longer be necessary (as on the baseball board).
Old Mon Jun 13, 2011, 09:54pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

If the spam is really bad and not taken care of quickly please email [email protected]

Also, anyone on the softball board willing to be a moderator can submit their name and email to the same address.

We will be upgrading the discussion board soon which will help with the spam issue.

Thanks,
Brad
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

The reason this is making the board unreadable is that when the Reported post stays there, the spammed thread then A) floats to the top, and B) highlights as having unread posts. When we go check, we find no new posts. Kind of encourages me not to check in at all.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sent an e-mail.