The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Hi,

Still being a newbie football ref. I'm not up on everything yet. I've been doing my homework but there is still one thing I haven't figured out yet, and that is what exactly is the "All but one" principle. I seen it referred to on our exam this year but I haven't been able to ascertain exactly when this is applied or what it means.

Can you vets help me out here?

Thanks!
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

All but one is a penalty enforcement procedure.

Goto http://www.footballrefs.com/articles.php

and look at the two articles about penalty enforcement.

These should help you understand.

Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

You can also take a look at our association website and our All But One page. I think it does a pretty good job of explaining the priniciple.

http://www.saoa.faync.com/football/All%20But%20One.htm
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You can also take a look at our association website and our All But One page. I think it does a pretty good job of explaining the priniciple.

http://www.saoa.faync.com/football/All%20But%20One.htm
I don't know if I fully agree with one statement made on your site (if only in semantics).

OTHER FOULS - Fouls that occur at the snap, dead ball fouls and other fouls that have special enforcement are not covered by the ABO principle.

Why do you state that fouls simultaneously with the snap are not covered by ABO?

Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know if I fully agree with one statement made on your site (if only in semantics).

OTHER FOULS - Fouls that occur at the snap, dead ball fouls and other fouls that have special enforcement are not covered by the ABO principle.

Why do you state that fouls simultaneously with the snap are not covered by ABO?

[/B][/QUOTE]I would think that because these fouls are always enforced from the previous spot. Lets say that the A Team has a Back in motion who is moving toward the LOS at the snap. This would be an A player fouling behind the basic spot. You wouldn't enforce this from the spot of the foul would you? Or lets say you see an A player in the backfield without his mouth guard when the play goes off. A then gains 5 yards on a running play. The BS is going to be the end of his run. So instead of using the “All But One” and enforcing from the spot of the foul, we go back to the PS for enforcement making this an exception to the “All But One”
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

10-6 ENFORCEMENT SPOTS, ALL-BUT-ONE PRINCIPLE
Unless otherwise listed in Section 4 and 5,....

10-4-2a
The basic spot is the previous spot:
For a foul which occurs simultaneously with the snap or free kick.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think we were disagreeing over semantics and my lack of knowledge of the specific wording of 10-6. I can see what you are saying after examing the rule closely.

If you didn't have such a strong argument, I might contend that a foul simultaneous with the snap is a spot foul because the player hasn't done anything wrong by his actions. The foul was caused because the ball was snapped and the SNAP is what made it illegal. The spot of the foul is the snap because the snap made the action illegal.

I know I'm reaching

Question is this then: If the NF test has a question like, "An illegal formation is a foul simultaneous with the snap and the foul is administered under the all-but-one principle", how would you answer this? (And wasn't something like this on the test this year? If so, what was the correct answer?)

Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Question is this then: If the NF test has a question like, "An illegal formation is a foul simultaneous with the snap and the foul is administered under the all-but-one principle", how would you answer this? (And wasn't something like this on the test this year? If so, what was the correct answer?)
REPLY: Mike...please don't give the Fed any ideas. They do OK on their own putting inane, poorly worded questions on their tests!
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you guys!! This has definitely cleared up much of the mystery of the "all but one" syndrome!!

I appreciate your assistance a GREAT deal!
Old Tue Sep 09, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
REPLY: Mike...please don't give the Fed any ideas. They do OK on their own putting inane, poorly worded questions on their tests!
ROTFLMAO
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question is this then: If the NF test has a question like, "An illegal formation is a foul simultaneous with the snap and the foul is administered under the all-but-one principle", how would you answer this? (And wasn't something like this on the test this year? If so, what was the correct answer?
False.