The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have some questions relating to the wings after watching a varsity game. I'm relatively new, so I'd like to know their significance.

1. On a kickoff, the HL signaled one hand up, one to the side. This must be more than just a ready signal, right? I have also worked where if it is an onside the HL will signal to the rest of the crew with an open hand in the air.

2. On a scrimmage play, the HL signaled the down with both hands, sometimes with each arm to the side and sometimes with one arm in the air and just one to the side (he seemed to do the later only on first downs). When the C touched the ball he dropped his arms and then signaled the WR off the line. I believe that he is communicating the down with the chain crew, but does the arm in the air vs on the side have any significance?

3. The LJ didn't do any of these signals. Are there any that the LJ should do or repeat back on kickoffs or otherwise?

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi