The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Two officials in offensive backfield?

First of all, I'm not a football official, but being an official in other sports, i do tend to watch and observe officials of all sports.

I was watching the West Virginia - TCU game on Saturday and noticed that they were utilizing two officials in the offensive backfield. I never could get a look at the placard on the back of the second official (he was wearing a black hat as opposed to the white hat referee). My curiosity was especially piqued when I did see an official with the U placard positioned just behind the linebackers.

This was the first time this season that I noticed this particular official positioning. I looked for the same things in the other games I watched on Saturday and didn't see it. Is this a Big XII thing or was I just seeing things?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I know the SEC tried it during their spring games and I think the Big 10 is attempting it as well.

The 8th official is the Center Judge and has a "C" placard. Last year the Big XII did it as well, but the 8th official was using a "A" placard. I don't know what they are looking for during the play but they, not the umpire, are responsible for spotting the ball.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 11:23am
Chain of Fools

Big 12 officiating: Eight-man crews are here to stay | News OK
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
... I don't know what they are looking for during the play but they, not the umpire, are responsible for spotting the ball.
That is the mechanic that caught my attention...the Center Judge spotting the ball and then moving to the offensive backfield.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Hope everyone is having a great season!
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 02:28pm
Official & ***** Member

The SEC is using the "C" on an experimental basis -- one crew only.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2014, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

One would assume the C would have O-line responsibilities and help cover offensive backfield action freeing up the R to keep his focus on QB responsibilities.

I haven't seen enough of those mechanics, I'm curious where the C is positioned for scrimmage and free kick situations.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 08:57am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
One would assume the C would have O-line responsibilities and help cover offensive backfield action freeing up the R to keep his focus on QB responsibilities.
Basically correct.. although I'm not sure of the exact mechanics and coverages, I think they're primarily responsible for the opposite tackle.

Quote:
I haven't seen enough of those mechanics, I'm curious where the C is positioned for scrimmage and free kick situations.
On free kicks, C starts out behind the kicker (where the Umpire used to line up in 6-man).

On punts, C's lined up opposite the R, just like any regular scrimmage play, only deeper. On Field Goals and Trys, I've seen a couple of variations: a) opposite the R as usual, or b) once I saw them run three officials (C, U, S) on the defensive side of the ball as a "triple umpire" formation.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Basically correct.. although I'm not sure of the exact mechanics and coverages, I think they're primarily responsible for the opposite tackle.

On free kicks, C starts out behind the kicker (where the Umpire used to line up in 6-man).

On punts, C's lined up opposite the R, just like any regular scrimmage play, only deeper. On Field Goals and Trys, I've seen a couple of variations: a) opposite the R as usual, or b) once I saw them run three officials (C, U, S) on the defensive side of the ball as a "triple umpire" formation.
Thanks.