The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Clock operator

How should a clock operator handle a situation in which the R either starts or stops the clock in error?
Here is my situation. I have working R for bout 20 years and think I have a pretty good grasp of timing rules. This is my "bye" week, but have been asked to be a clock operator at a game. No problem, glad to help out, but what should I do if there is a I am signaled to stop or start wrongly?
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Do what the officials on the field signals. If they make an error it is theirs. You might believe that a runner went out of bounds but the official had his forward progress stopped. There may be something on the field that they have that you do not know or they have not signaled.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Do what the officials on the field signals. If they make an error it is theirs. You might believe that a runner went out of bounds but the official had his forward progress stopped. There may be something on the field that they have that you do not know or they have not signaled.
Going out of bounds or not is rarely the problem.

It's usually when there's a penalty and the R winds in error or forgets to wind in error (or at least in disagreement with the CO).
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Going out of bounds or not is rarely the problem.

It's usually when there's a penalty and the R winds in error or forgets to wind in error (or at least in disagreement with the CO).
Yes, that is what I should have said.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2014, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Sometimes we make mistakes as the R. It happens. If the R winds, start the clock, but know where to reset it to when they catch their mistake.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 08:52am
Official & ***** Member

The ECO is simply a "human remote control" for the clock. Do what the WH signals.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

What do YOU, as R, do when the clock operator doesn't do as you signal him to do?

As clock guy, you work for him. Just do what he signals.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What do YOU, as R, do when the clock operator doesn't do as you signal him to do?

As clock guy, you work for him. Just do what he signals.
I will put time back on the clock, if BJ tells me ECO didn't stop it. I guess what I was really trying to prevent was the half or game ending with timing issues.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Don't get caught up and over-think this. Not implying you would but do NOT bring a friend, one of your kids, your wife, or anyone else up there that may be a distraction at any point in the game. That's timing issue 101.

Your sole purpose as clock operator is to key on the white hat's clock directives. It's not on your shoulders to be handling start/stoppage correctly and if there's a beef along the way, it's going to be with the WH and he will advise you for a correction, if need be.

Having been in that position a time or 30....I'd also suggest you get a handle on the mechanics of the game clock/timer in advance and not go in blind. We've all been thru the delays during the "please reset the game clock to XXX" more than we all care to remember.

Good luck.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Just a suggestion, but staying "in the game" can be very helpful and keeping a "backup clock" you keep syncronized with the official game clock can assist your focus, and also serve as a valuable protection against unanticipated problems or malfunctions with the primary game clock.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
We've all been thru the delays during the "please reset the game clock to XXX" more than we all care to remember.
Make sure you know how to reset the game clock to XXX. That will help limit the delay.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Agree--

Do what the officials on the field signals. The error or NOT is theirs. That is a lot like a coach questioning your call on the filed...
Old Thu Oct 09, 2014, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

I always tell the clock operator, let us make the mistake and let us fix the mistake.

Peace