The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I've been asked to be a scorekeeper/clock operator at a tournament this weekend. I've never done either. I need a quick lesson in things to look for to run the clock so I don't make a complete fool out of myself. I have never run a clock so I have no idea how to interact with ref from this perspective. It's a high school AAU tournament, 16 minutes halves, clock stops on all whistles is all I know. Is there anything else with starting time etc?

thanks,
Coach Gbert
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

NFHS has a PDF file at http://www.nfhs.org/staticcontent/pd...rerstimers.pdf

Also - Keep your eye on the ref for re-starting the clock. Don't forget to change the arrow at the start of each period. Double check with the scorebook at each timeout - score, team fouls, individual fouls, whose possession coming out, time left and score (in case clock gets unplugged or spazzes out - it happens). If you have to keep track of individual scoring, it helps if you and the book have a spotter.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Watch the official...don't anticipate the play.

When the official blows the whistle (and hopefully raises his/her hand) stop the clock.

When the clock is stopped and you are preparing to start the clock, don't watch the play, watch the official for the "chop start".

When he/she chops the hand in a downward motion, that is when you start the clock.
This is particularly true during a free throw...watch the official with his/her hand raised, not the ball.

Interact with the officials and have fun...that's what it's all about...you guys are a team now...and thanks for helping out.
Richland, WA
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Thank you!!

Wow, thank you so much for the replies. The NFHS link is a tremendous source of info. I didn't even know it was out there. I appeciate the responses. Since it's a high school tournament I feel the need to be better prepared, so I don't let them down. If it was 5/6 rec ball I don't think I would have such anxiety. I wish I could have started with rec ball, but the AD at our school called and needed help, so there I will be.

thanks again to all,
CoachGbert
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Let official report foul before you start recording it, he may have if differently than you! Also watch official for 3-pt. goal signal, don't try to make your own call. I've been helped quite a few times by an alert scorer and/or timer. Have fun!
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Watch closely before you hit the horn. You don't want to hit the horn to alert the refs of subs when their shooting the first of 2 free throws. Just make sure the ball is not live when you hit the horn, it usually confuses players and creates something the refs have to sort out.

When a foul is called, try to get eye contact with the calling official so he can report and get the ball back in play quickly. 16 min stopped clock makes for a long day of AAU.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
DO:

- Watch the official and start the clock on the chop each time. Nothing bugs me more than having to remind the timer to start the clock while the ball's in play.

- Know how the control panel works. Very annoying when it takes 5 minutes for the operator to put 5 seconds back on the clock.

- If you have the book make eye contact with the official as he reports fouls.

- If you have the book keep track of the arrow

- Time the timeouts & hit the horn at 45 sec & 60 seconds.

- Keep track of team fouls & make sure the officials know before a team is in bonus.

DON'T

- Hit the horn on every substition.

- Hesitate to call an official over if you didn't get a number or if there's any problem with the score or the book.

- DON'T do this during a live ball.

And don't forget to have fun!
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

As to interracting with refs - unless you know them, it's best to be like a child - "don't speak unless spoken to" (especially on the clock).

Be ready to help when needed (and if the refs are working a ton of AAU games, they'll be grateful for the help), and just stay focused in the game.

What everyone else has said here for clock is great - just be careful on made free throws - don't start the clock when the trail (near the midcourt line) official puts his/her hand down.

On the book - USE PENCIL!, especially if it's your first time. Always compare the book with the unofficial scorebook (if there is one), and if you are unsure of anything, get the ref's attention to get it checked out. Remember - most mistakes can be corrected, IF they are discovered soon enough.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Your first time 'ey?

It's also customary for the timekeeper to bring hot dogs and Gatorade to the referees at halftime and nachos and soda after the game.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

DON'T hit the horn on every substitution?!?

The correct mechanic is to withhold your whistle on the sub, wait for the horn and then beckon the subs in.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I'm more of a no horn and no whistle on the substitutions. It seems like an unnecessary waste of loud noise and attraction to myself. Don't get me wrong I'll use the whistle if need to get the subs attention, but just personal preference.

Never really knew there was a textbook mechanic on it.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble

The correct mechanic is to withhold your whistle on the sub, wait for the horn and then beckon the subs in.
That's right Dribble, DON'T hit the horn on every sub.

I make it a point to always know when there are players at the table. If I've hit the whistle to beckon the player in there is no reason for the table to hit the horn. Which is what I tell my table, especially at these aau things.

[Edited by Dan_ref on May 7th, 2005 at 11:23 AM]
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble

That's right Dribble, DON'T hit the whistle on every sub.

I make it a point to always know when there are players at the table. If I've hit the whistle to beckon the player in there is no reason for the table to hit the horn. Which is what I tell my table, especially at these aau things.

especially if you're working side by side courts. If the ref calls for the subs to come in and they don't move, simply give them a kick in the pants from under the table or you can tell them to go in, whichever you feel is more effective without hitting the horn.
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
So, coachgbert, I'd be interested in hearing how it all went! When you check in next.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Dan_ref, my point is that you shouldn't be putting air into the whistle on subs anyway. That's the job of the horn.

I can't recall any high-profile televised NCAA or NBA game (for common reference) that the officials consistently brought in subs with their whistle. It's always done through the table.