The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Can offens grab facemask

BB guy. Watching ESPN Monday nite and they show Steve Smith of Ravens stiff arm defender and then pulling him to to the ground via the face mask. Can offense use the face mask?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Both the offense and defense have the same rules in regard to facemask in the NFL. It's not a penalty simply to grab the facemask. It only becomes a penalty when they fail to release immediately and controls the opponent or grabs and pulls, twists, push, or pull the facemask.

Saying that, I haven't seen the play in question so can't comment.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Both the offense and defense have the same rules in regard to facemask in the NFL. It's not a penalty simply to grab the facemask. It only becomes a penalty when they fail to release immediately and controls the opponent or grabs and pulls, twists, push, or pull the facemask.

Saying that, I haven't seen the play in question so can't comment.
I'll post some screen grabs tomorrow. IMHO, with an official looking right at it nothing was called. What got me was the ESPN twits.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I can count on one fist the number of times I've seen a ball carrier flagged for grabbing an opponent's facemask.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I can count on one fist the number of times I've seen a ball carrier flagged for grabbing an opponent's facemask.
Can't speak for NFL rules, but otherwise NFHS 9-4-3-h prohibits "grasping an opponents facemask", and applies to EVERY player.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Can't speak for NFL rules, but otherwise NFHS 9-4-3-h prohibits "grasping an opponents facemask", and applies to EVERY player.
Can't get a pic uploaded due to 100kb limit so you will have to go here to see pics: Laredo Optimist LL Baseball: Albums

Click on the "football" album
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Can't get a pic uploaded due to 100kb limit so you will have to go here to see pics: Laredo Optimist LL Baseball: Albums Click on the "football" album
Can't see any "grasping" in any of these photos.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Can't see any "grasping" in any of these photos.
You would have to see the video to understand that the impetus for the defenders trajectory derived from the runners arm, wherever it was attached to, benefit of the doubt, horse collar, otherwise facemask?
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You would have to see the video to understand that the impetus for the defenders trajectory derived from the runners arm, wherever it was attached to, benefit of the doubt, horse collar, otherwise facemask?
I have seen the video. There's no grasping here, not once. "impetus for the defenders trajectory derived from the runners arm"????? That has nothing to do with anything at all. (And merely saying the term "horse collar" in the context of this play, where contact was entirely from the front, is particularly worrisome).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't know which rule code your suggesting, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear under ANY of them.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I've called it twice. Can't grasp the facemask, period.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 08:14am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
wherever it was attached to, benefit of the doubt, horse collar, otherwise facemask?
Here's where I think the disconnect lies. We are not supposed to guess why a player's head jerks around or how he suddenly and violently is yanked back to the ground. In these plays, if we don't know, we don't throw (or shouldn't anyways).

Many times guessing on facemasks and horsecollars result in an incorrect foul being called. This is a concept a fair amount of coaches don't seem to grasp and can't believe that we missed an "obvious" facemask.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I have seen the video. There's no grasping here, not once. "impetus for the defenders trajectory derived from the runners arm"????? That has nothing to do with anything at all. (And merely saying the term "horse collar" in the context of this play, where contact was entirely from the front, is particularly worrisome).
I'm a BB guy so I ignorantly used that term to refer to grabbing the front of the shoulder pads. So, without solid evidence of why the defender is going down no official will call it a facemask. Makes sense. Thanks.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm a BB guy so I ignorantly used that term to refer to grabbing the front of the shoulder pads. So, without solid evidence of why the defender is going down no official will call it a facemask. Makes sense. Thanks.
Players grab each other all the time. Defenders go down all the time. It's football.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 05:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ball carriers will often stiff-arm a defender on his face without grasping it.