The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Talking

New clip about momentium at: http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/

It comes from NCAA, but I am looking at teh NF ruling. My take is down at 2 (possibly the 3 depending on angle of official covering). Knee comes down after catch.

What do you think?
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: My opinion for what it's worth. I think that technically the interception was completed at B's 1. I see B's knee hit the ground at about B's 1.5. But...on this play, I'm probably going to give B the TB as well. I can't see pinning them back after making a great defensive play. A common sense approach.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Looks like his knee and butt come down when the ball is around the 1. No momentum rule here since he was down before he entered the end zone.

Remember- it's where the ball is when the knee, etc. hits the ground.

I totally disagree with Bob M's philosophy on this one.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

One other thought

REPLY I forgot to mention one other thing. In both codes, this appears to have nothing to do with momentum. If the ball was in the field of play when the knee hits the ground (that's the way I saw it) then the ball's dead there...no momentum. The fact that the runner then slides into the EZ is interesting but of no material significance in this play. If the official is signalling TB (which he is), he's ruling that the catch was completed in the EZ, otherwise he'd be dropping a bag at B's 1--or wherever--and signalling TO when the ball eventually becomes dead. He would not be signalling a TB in such a case. The only way momentum figures into this is if you rule the interception completed in the field of play, but the ball not becoming dead until it is in the EZ.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: One other thought

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
If the official is signalling TB (which he is), he's ruling that the catch was completed in the EZ, otherwise he'd be dropping a bag at B's 1--or wherever--and signalling TO when the ball eventually becomes dead. He would not be signalling a TB in such a case.
Maybe he felt B made such a great play that he deserved a touchback as well.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
REPLY: My opinion for what it's worth. I think that technically the interception was completed at B's 1. I see B's knee hit the ground at about B's 1.5. But...on this play, I'm probably going to give B the TB as well. I can't see pinning them back after making a great defensive play. A common sense approach.

[Edited by davidfv1 on Aug 20th, 2003 at 11:15 PM]

David
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidfv1
Quote:

Bob is Right. I do not think that we want to pin the defense back after a good play. Yes, maybe by rule, he might of been down inside the 2. But, common sense should be a part of our calls on the field. Give the kid the touchback and get on with the game!

I agree, great play by defense, but the rule is still the rule. He is down and ball sitll out of EZ. B's ball at 1, 1.5, 2 depending yuouyour angle of the interception. Commom sence might say "hey, great play, here is your touchback", but we can not do that. What about the RB who shakes off 4 would be tackles with outstanding moves, shakes & jukes his way down to the 1 OR .5 yd line. Awsome play...... do you use common sence and give him the TD for his effort?????? NO WAY. B is not being penalized by getting the ball. Are they in a hole, yes. BUT at least they have the ball. A stat from the morning heard on ESPN radio: fumbles are now turning into +5 points (on the average) while interceptions are at a +7. They HAVE the ball, and A can not score a TD or FG.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

My common sense says to put the ball down where it is dead by rule.
While the video is not too clear on this, had the sliding player been juggling the ball, the final deadball spot just might have been in the EZ and therefore a TB
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 12:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
New clip about momentium at: http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/

It comes from NCAA, but I am looking at teh NF ruling. My take is down at 2 (possibly the 3 depending on angle of official covering). Knee comes down after catch.

What do you think?
Should this happen in a game in Canada, I hope that the covering official deems that momentum caused the player to gain control in the EZ.

Are there more of these? If there a place to look at past plays?

Mike
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Looks like interception and down at the 1. I disagree with calling it a TB because it was a nice catch. Hey, stuff happens! Be happy you got the ball.