View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidfv1
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: My opinion for what it's worth. I think that technically the interception was completed at B's 1. I see B's knee hit the ground at about B's 1.5. But...on this play, I'm probably going to give B the TB as well. I can't see pinning them back after making a great defensive play. A common sense approach.

Bob is Right. I do not think that we want to pin the defense back after a good play. Yes, maybe by rule, he might of been down inside the 2. But, common sense should be a part of our calls on the field. Give the kid the touchback and get on with the game!

I agree, great play by defense, but the rule is still the rule. He is down and ball sitll out of EZ. B's ball at 1, 1.5, 2 depending yuouyour angle of the interception. Commom sence might say "hey, great play, here is your touchback", but we can not do that. What about the RB who shakes off 4 would be tackles with outstanding moves, shakes & jukes his way down to the 1 OR .5 yd line. Awsome play...... do you use common sence and give him the TD for his effort?????? NO WAY. B is not being penalized by getting the ball. Are they in a hole, yes. BUT at least they have the ball. A stat from the morning heard on ESPN radio: fumbles are now turning into +5 points (on the average) while interceptions are at a +7. They HAVE the ball, and A can not score a TD or FG.