The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 24, 2003, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Question

Ok had this situation happen at the end of one of my games. junior high age kids game has concluded and one team has just completely destroyed another. The winning team circles up at mid-field and starts to do a post game ritchual and doing a follow the captian drill. (Rolls,chants etc.) OPP. Team complains to R and says thats unsportsmenlike. R says sorry games over we no longer have control. My ? while it didnt happen what if a fight would have breoken out. Would we have been obligated to stop the brawl and fill out reports, or just let it go. This game had gone really well, except some of the fans had to be removed from the contest for directing profanity towards the players, and yes we let site admin handle it.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2003, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

1-1-8
The officials' jurisdiction extends through the referee's declaration of the end of the fourth period or overtime.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 24, 2003, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Such acts should be reported to the authorities
who control the games---- obviously the game is over
and the officials cannot carry out any penalty--
BUT-- something should be done to communicate
to the school that performed these acts.
I worked a D-3 JV game years ago that had
a brawl at the end of the game. The team
at fault was banned from play in that league
for years.
You can't just let it go.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

GO HOME!!

As tempting as it is, when the clock hits 00:00, officials should group together and leave the field, immediately.

There's nothing good that can come in trying to "officiate" behavior after the game.

Other people are paid to properly oversee and intervene in these situations. Certainly, if you feel that you should make administration and others in the channel aware of your concern, that's fine. But do it with a phone call or email after the game.

Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
Ok had this situation happen at the end of one of my games. junior high age kids game has concluded and one team has just completely destroyed another. The winning team circles up at mid-field and starts to do a post game ritchual and doing a follow the captian drill. (Rolls,chants etc.) OPP. Team complains to R and says thats unsportsmenlike. R says sorry games over we no longer have control. My ? while it didnt happen what if a fight would have breoken out. Would we have been obligated to stop the brawl and fill out reports, or just let it go. This game had gone really well, except some of the fans had to be removed from the contest for directing profanity towards the players, and yes we let site admin handle it.
CIFL?
Old Mon Aug 25, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
u bettcha mike. Could it happen anywhere else
Old Tue Aug 26, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
u bettcha mike. Could it happen anywhere else
Gotta love those games in that town

Lot's of good advice already given. At the CIFL level, the coaches can file a complaint to the controlling board and the board will look into it. Had a fight broken out, I wouldn't try to officiate or get involved. Let coaches and administration handle the situation. Our jurisdiction has ended when the clock reads 0:00 and the referee has declared the game over.

Had this happened in a high school game and a fight had broken out, I would have submitted a special report to the IHSA but clearly, game officials don't have the authority to eject those who might fight. Circle up the crew and get out of Dodge. Let game management and those who were hired to provide security handle the situation.

Hope this helps!

Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Check out the September edition of REFEREE Magazine." They have an article on exactly this type of situation and what your responsibilities are. More importantly they point out that once your game responsibilities end (usually defined by rule), any intervention might put you at legal risk. A colleague of mine here in NJ, Alan Goldberger, is an attorney and contributed to this article. Check it out on p. 24. The title of the article is "3, 2, 1...Zero."