The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Iowa-LSU last play question.

LSU punted with 8 sec left. Iowa begin passing the ball around deep in their own territory. At one point a player went into the end zone and threw a forward pass, should that have been a safety? They threw a flag but just said "illegal forward pass" If a player who has received a lateral from a punt returner then drifts into the end zone and throws a forward pass (he was about to be tackled) isn't that a safety?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:28am
Chain of Fools

I thought the call was an Illegal Bat. I was at a restaurant and couldn't hear but that is what came across the Closed Captioning crawl. Granted that may not have been what was said.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

The flag was for an illegal bat earlier in the play. I don't recall a forward pass on this, but if there was one, it would only result in a safety if Iowa accepted the penalty. Any video of the alleged forward pass?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Iowa was down by 7, LSU punted and Iowa was trying to return.

After about 3 or four passes, the ball ended up in Iowa's endzone. A backwards pass was thrown across the endzone, but it was batted forward rather than caught: and recovered at about the 5 or 10 (IIRC).

The call was illegal batting, not an illegal forward pass. Now, they announced that LSU was declining the penalty and the game was over.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a tape but thought at the time that the pass in the end zone was forward. I don't think you can decline a safety. Iowa wouldn't have to kickoff since there was 000 on the clock. But regardless, does anyone know if an illegal forward pass in the end zone is a safety?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 12:24pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsucret View Post
I don't have a tape but thought at the time that the pass in the end zone was forward. I don't think you can decline a safety. Iowa wouldn't have to kickoff since there was 000 on the clock. But regardless, does anyone know if an illegal forward pass in the end zone is a safety?

I guess I should've watched the last play of the game instead of turning off the TV after LSU gained possession of the ball with about 2 minutes left...

For what it's worth, the play-by-play on ESPN.com doesn't mention any foul on the final play of the game.

But anyway, to answer your question:
An illegal forward pass is a foul.
An accepted penalty for a foul by Team A in their end zone results in a safety.

If there was actually an illegal forward pass foul, the Referee might've just 'automatically declined' the penalty for LSU because the points wouldn't affect the outcome of the game (well, except for maybe for gambling purposes). Considering a couple of other officiating mistakes I saw during the game, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can decline any penalty. You would not be declining the safety - but rather the penalty that caused the safety.

Say, for example, someone threw an illegal forward pass out of the end zone, and that pass was intercepted and returned for a TD - they would absolutely decline the IFP penalty and take the touchdown.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 01:20pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You can decline any penalty. You would not be declining the safety - but rather the penalty that caused the safety.

Say, for example, someone threw an illegal forward pass out of the end zone, and that pass was intercepted and returned for a TD - they would absolutely decline the IFP penalty and take the safety.
They'd take the TD, right?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 01:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Would they get both? Ouch.

The penalty that was announced was illegal batting, which was clearly the correct call. Whether one of the passes was forward or not, I don't know, there were no good angles shown to know that.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Fixed. thanks.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

i thought i heard that was a big 2 points in Vegas in regards to the final score
Old Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
i thought i heard that was a big 2 points in Vegas in regards to the final score
I believe the spread was 7.5.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

It was a very big 2 points. They're were multiple fouls on that play. Since the game was over, the officials just announced an obvious batting call. Most people here are right. You can't decline a safety if the quarterback is sacked in the end zone on the last play of the game ( or any other time) but you can if the safety was the result of a penalty. If there was 1 second left and all the fouls were correctly called, LSU would have taken the safety.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 05:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It was a very big 2 points. They're were multiple fouls on that play. Since the game was over, the officials just announced an obvious batting call. Most people here are right. You can't decline a safety if the quarterback is sacked in the end zone on the last play of the game ( or any other time) but you can if the safety was the result of a penalty. If there was 1 second left and all the fouls were correctly called, LSU would have taken the safety.
It wasn't big to anyone who wasn't betting on the game.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Very true.