Old Sun Aug 17, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by davidfv1
Quote:
Originally posted by FBullock
Agree that a late hit (PF) should have been called, but the Referee should have the primary responsiblity on this call. His job is to "Baby-Sit" the QB. If the LJ saw it, he could make the call as well. He has forward progress, etc to watch as well. LJ may have been a little quick and too focused on Forward Progress. Wings stay wide and keep head on Swivel. If you don't call a foul at a minimimum it's a talk to.
Just want to add my support for FBullock... Good comments.
It would be very interesting to see the WR the entire play.
I just uploaded a 'live' version of the play, unfortunatly, you do not get the see the WR the entire play. But it may add to your thoughts on the play..Here is the direct link to the pass interference:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/f...ideo/id15.html

Thanks for everyone's feedback. If I keep getting interest in the site, I will keep posting new and interesting plays (at least in my opinion). Pass on the link to other people who might be interested. Thanks

David
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

The B player had time to pull up but the QB was also carrying out a fake. It appeared as if the B player made contact first with his helmet and if so a spearing foul could have been called regardless of whether it was a "late hit." The line judge appeared to focused completely on the spot and pile up around the ball. Can't see the referee. Should he have cleaned up on the action around the QB?
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think you should take another look at the play. The QB was watching the play as it moved into the line. It would be a stretch to say he was carrying on with a fake. Video angle is not good to see the initial contact, but it does not seem to fit the criteria for a spear from what the wing might see.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

I see your point about the QB looking towards the line. My point about the potential spearing call is directed towards the referee who would have the better angle. The LJ had his eyes in the right place. I would expect the referee to be making the call.
Old Tue Aug 19, 2003, 07:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Using the criteria in Canadian football (which are not much, if any, different that US rules), I've got DPI on the first one and UR on the second.

Mike
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

NEW PLAY - MOMENTUM

I posted a new play on momentum... TAKE A LOOK!

David
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: NEW PLAY - MOMENTUM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidfv1
I posted a new play on momentum... TAKE A LOOK!

Join the email list if you want to be emailed when the page is updated with a new play... so much easier for me. Thanks and enjoy. This one is interesting.

David
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

defender slid into the EZ.. I'd say spot the ball at the 1 or 1.5 yard line.
Was not easy to tell from the video if while sliding, he had control of the ball until actually reaching the EZ.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Touchback

Although it may "technically" be spotted on the 1-2 yd line, I believe the philosophy of many college associations would be to call it a touchback when it's that close.

Probably few if any repercussions for the touchback call.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

So if the defender intercepted at the other end of the field and he was down at the 1.5 and slide into the EZ, we should give him a TD? I don't think so.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but when a play becomes dead, the ball is spotted at the deadball spot no matter what no matter where that is. We shouldn't even consider how great a play the defensive team had made to enter into the decision.
Sideline calls are one thing, but calls that involve goal lines have to be done by the book.

I'm not saying the official in the play was wrong to call a TB. I had to look at that video a number times and I'm still not 100% of what I would have done if that were me at the pylon. I'd be looking for help from the offside official on this play to make sure the defender had possession or not while outside the EZ before spotting the ball or signaling TB.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa there, Theis!

I agree on glancing at your offside partner for help. That would be my first move. But that notwithstanding, my take on this play was that from the tape, no matter how many times I watched it, it appears that his possession may be simultaneous with him crossing the goal line. Can't tell for sure. It's still the 'ol, you need to be there.

With this in mind, all I was suggesting is that if the play is that close and you don't have a clear angle, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Touchback.

Wasn't trying to imply a gimmee here, although rereading my post, I can see how you might believe I was. I apologize for being unclear.

I agree with you.