The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Video clips for instruction (https://forum.officiating.com/football/9674-video-clips-instruction.html)

davidfv1 Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:27pm

I found a play that I was trying to get other opinions on... so I created a video clip and emailed it out.. I had such great response that I posted it on the web and was looking for more video clips to post. This first one lead to great debate.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/

I hope to have it up for about another week before I put up a new one...

BktBallRef Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:02am

The DB hooks the WR with his right hand on the receiver's right shoulder prior to the ball arriving. The Hook is one of the things that college officials are told to look for when making a PI call. The Hook is not as pronounced as I've seen but it's still a hook.

I have DPI on this play.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 11th, 2003 at 12:05 AM]

cowbyfan1 Mon Aug 11, 2003 02:49am

DPI for certain...

mikesears Mon Aug 11, 2003 07:56am

Agree with everyone else (thus far). DPI

davidfv1 Fri Aug 15, 2003 01:09am

Not DPI

I was actually the official on the field and had a NO call on the play. My thoughts at the time were I did not see enough change in the receiver to call it... I might be wrong, but the poll is coming about 50-50 on the call.

David

NEW video on the site regarding Late HITS...

Questions: Late hit on Quarterback?, Line judge should of made the call?

NCAA:
No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play...
No opponent shall tackle or block the runner when he is clearly out of bounds or throw him to the ground after the ball becomes dead.

NFHS:
No Player shall:
Charge into or throw an opponent to the ground after he is obviously out of the play
Make any ontract...which is deemed unnecessary and which incites roughness

Check out the new video.. I will post some other ones soon on some late hits...

FBullock Fri Aug 15, 2003 06:52am

Agree that a late hit (PF) should have been called, but the Referee should have the primary responsiblity on this call. His job is to "Baby-Sit" the QB. If the LJ saw it, he could make the call as well. He has forward progress, etc to watch as well. LJ may have been a little quick and too focused on Forward Progress. Wings stay wind and keep head on Swivel. If you don't call a foul at a minimimum it's a talk to.

BktBallRef Fri Aug 15, 2003 08:26am

Re: Not DPI

Quote:

Originally posted by davidfv1
I was actually the official on the field and had a NO call on the play. My thoughts at the time were I did not see enough change in the receiver to call it... I might be wrong, but the poll is coming about 50-50 on the call.

David

I agree, you're wrong. :D

I hope you don't mind, I posted the link on another site. If you do, just let me know and I'll erase it. This is a great idea, David. Thanks!

davidfv1 Fri Aug 15, 2003 08:50am

Re: Re: Not DPI

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

David

I agree, you're wrong. :D

I hope you don't mind, I posted the link on another site. If you do, just let me know and I'll erase it. This is a great idea, David. Thanks!

Well, I had the backing of my college supervisor and an NFL Replay Ref.. IT was a very interesting and close play to see. The slow motion really brings out how close things are out there.

davidfv1 Fri Aug 15, 2003 08:51am

Re: Re: Re: Not DPI

Quote:

[B

I hope you don't mind, I posted the link on another site. If you do, just let me know and I'll erase it. This is a great idea, David. Thanks! [/B]

I am hoping to get others to look at plays and hopefully send me more plays to view and discuss. YOu are welcome to pass along the link at anytime.

David

Schmidt MJ Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:45pm

Obviously this would be hard to pick up on during the actual game, but it looks like the defensive player starts to focus on the running back and when he sees the RB is being tackled he then refocuses his attention on the QB to make the hit. The QB was not pretending to be a runner by carrying out a fake and I dont believe the defender thought he had the ball either, so this would definitely be a personl foul.

Theisey Fri Aug 15, 2003 02:38pm

Would have like to have seen the DPI/noDPI clip, but the running play video you have up now is one that does fit the criteria of late hit.
Seems the right DE had only one thing on his mind... to get the QB which he did. Square in the back.
Wing official is tied up with the play action up the middle. The Referee should be focusing on the QB at this point.
Did he flag it?

Bob M. Fri Aug 15, 2003 02:58pm

Agree that the hit on the QB was unnecessary. I believe that the R should have had the primary responsibility for seeing it. The LJ should be watching the lead blocking and then pick up the runner as he approaches the LOS.

Also, for the DPI call, I've heard from several D1 and NFL officials that what they look for is not the hook itself, but the rather the "hook <u>and</u> <u>turn</u>." What they would look for is that hook pulling the right shoulder away from the play. In their philosophy, the hook alone is insufficient to call DPI unless it truly impedes the receiver. On this play, they would have a no-call.

Bob

davidfv1 Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Theisey
Would have like to have seen the DPI/noDPI clip, but the running play video you have up now is one that does fit the criteria of late hit.
Seems the right DE had only one thing on his mind... to get the QB which he did. Square in the back.
Wing official is tied up with the play action up the middle. The Referee should be focusing on the QB at this point.
Did he flag it?

The Pass Interference Play is still on the web site... just not on the front page..
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/f...ideo/id15.html

hope you enjoy it

David

davidfv1 Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FBullock
Agree that a late hit (PF) should have been called, but the Referee should have the primary responsiblity on this call. His job is to "Baby-Sit" the QB. If the LJ saw it, he could make the call as well. He has forward progress, etc to watch as well. LJ may have been a little quick and too focused on Forward Progress. Wings stay wide and keep head on Swivel. If you don't call a foul at a minimimum it's a talk to.
Just want to add my support for FBullock... Good comments.

mikesears Sat Aug 16, 2003 09:50am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by FBullock
Agree that a late hit (PF) should have been called, but the Referee should have the primary responsiblity on this call. His job is to "Baby-Sit" the QB. If the LJ saw it, he could make the call as well. He has forward progress, etc to watch as well. LJ may have been a little quick and too focused on Forward Progress. Wings stay wide and keep head on Swivel. If you don't call a foul at a minimimum it's a talk to.
Just want to add my support for FBullock... Good comments.

It would be very interesting to see the WR the entire play.