Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:42pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Working a second round playoff game, I noticed a kid in the student section wearing a referee shirt complete with a whistle around his neck.

I suppose Robert would wait until the kid actually blew the whistle -- instead, I pointed the kid out to the AD (without anyone knowing I did this), who removed the whistle from the kid's person.
Sounds like theft...

Handle it like an official: "you can let me hold that whistle till after the game and watch, or you can keep the whistle and leave."

Giving people choices is good. Makes 'em feel empowered.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Because this isn't star gazing, it is a football game.
So the only thing that should go on at a football game is a football game? It's part of life, lots of people do more than one thing at a time or place.
Quote:
Even if the mere presence of a laser isn't disruptive (and I'd argue that it is), it has the potential to be and not to mention dangerous to the eyes of the participants.
Maybe it is disruptive, which changes the consider'ns. I did ask about that above. But laser pointers are not dangerous to eyes, unless you poke someone with one.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Did you actually look at the video? The perp was getting closer & closer to Winston's eyes.
I couldn't tell it was moving in any particular direction, otherwise I wouldn't've asked.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Working a second round playoff game, I noticed a kid in the student section wearing a referee shirt complete with a whistle around his neck.

I suppose Robert would wait until the kid actually blew the whistle -- instead, I pointed the kid out to the AD (without anyone knowing I did this), who removed the whistle from the kid's person.
Maybe he'd just finished working a game, or had the next one. I'd've been more concerned that he'd've been wearing a costume to get in for free.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
So the only thing that should go on at a football game is a football game? It's part of life, lots of people do more than one thing at a time or place.
They sure as hell shouldn't be people using a laser pointer at a sporting event.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post

Maybe it is disruptive, which changes the consider'ns. I did ask about that above. But laser pointers are not dangerous to eyes, unless you poke someone with one.
Ahem

Quote:
The hazards of laser pointers are limited to the eye. Although with most visible lasers, the largest concern is potential damage to the retina, most laser pointers are not likely to cause permanent retinal damage.

The most likely effects from exposure to viewing the beam from a laser pointer are afterimage, flashblindness and glare. Flashblindness is temporary vision impairment after viewing a bright light. This is similar to looking directly at a flashbulb when having a picture taken. The impairment may last several minutes.

Afterimage is the perception of spots in the field of vision. This can be distracting and annoying, and may last several minutes, although there have been reports of afterimages lasting several days.

Glare is a reduction or complete loss of visibility in the central field of vision while being exposed to the direct or scattered beam. This is similar to viewing oncoming headlights on a dark night. Once the beam is out of the field of vision, the glare ceases. While this does not pose a hazard to the eye, it can cause serious distraction and outrage. Glare can be exacerbated when the beam is reflected from a mirror-like surface.
More Laser Safety

Maybe there's little risk of permanent damage to the eye, but there is real risk of injury to the player due to being distracted on the football field and they seriously compromise the fairness of the competition when the quarterback is unable to see clearly for several minutes.

Fans can do lots of things in the stands. One thing they can't be permitted to do is directly interfere with play.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 09:06am
Archaic Power Monger

Putting this baby to bed because frankly, this discussion is just stupid.