The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Refs nail guy with laser pointer (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96728-refs-nail-guy-laser-pointer.html)

AremRed Sun Dec 08, 2013 03:35am

Refs nail guy with laser pointer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SMcNuc2PFs4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HLin NC Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:47am

I was there, albeit in the upper deck. By that point in the game they should not have had much trouble identifying the perp. The place was about deserted.

Robert Goodman Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:53am

What do you think the purpose of the pointer was? To interfere with the game by getting it in players' or officials' eyes? Or just to point players out, as one would use a cursor on a screen?

HLin NC Sun Dec 08, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

What do you think the purpose of the pointer was? To interfere with the game by getting it in players' or officials' eyes? Or just to point players out, as one would use a cursor on a screen?
No, some people in this world are just dipS#!xz.

I've seen two in HS games but none this year.

Robert Goodman Sun Dec 08, 2013 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 913369)
No, some people in this world are just dipS#!xz.

I've seen two in HS games but none this year.

If they're not interfering with play, what's the problem?

HLin NC Sun Dec 08, 2013 09:18pm

#1). According to my state trooper, SWAT certified, buddy who was with me last night, under their rules of engagement, a laser can indicate a weapon and thus open the pointer operator up to catching a round in the skull, depending on the level of tension present in the facility.

#2). Have someone point one at your eye and report the results back to us.

Are you just totally devoid of common sense or do you just like making people think you're a total Dumas?

Robert Goodman Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 913390)
#1). According to my state trooper, SWAT certified, buddy who was with me last night, under their rules of engagement, a laser can indicate a weapon and thus open the pointer operator up to catching a round in the skull, depending on the level of tension present in the facility.

If someone's about to use a gun, the last thing you should do is antagonize him, plus create a panic! If someone seriously thought that was a problem, the thing to do would be to sneak up behind him, not make a public anmt.

Quote:

But upthread you said it was not being aimed at people's eyes.

Quote:

Are you just totally devoid of common sense or do you just like making people think you're a total Dumas?
I really don't care what people think, I just want answers.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 913396)
I really don't care what people think, I just want answers.

Yes you do, to a lot of stupid questions. :(

Nothing good can come from such a stupid act as pointing a laser at an athlete on any sports field/court.

Ianr Mon Dec 09, 2013 06:41am

pointing a laser at a player does impact the play not only by creating an unnecessary safety hazard, it also is distracting to the players, officials and other game personnel that can be avoided. Creating noise to disrupt the play is one thing however using a laser pointer is both unethical and dangerous.

"can cause irreversible eye damage"
-Johns Hopskins, http://hub.jhu.edu/2013/12/03/blue-laser-eye-damage

ump33 Mon Dec 09, 2013 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 913374)

Really? Sometimes in life things (or actions) are just plain wrong. Pointing a laser light at football players (or anyone) is one of those things ... it is just plain wrong.

Adam Mon Dec 09, 2013 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 913390)

1. Not relevant to a football game, as the difference is in a confrontation, the laser could (at least) temporarily disable the officer's vision. The risk level (being shot) is far higher than in a football game. Also, pointing anything at a cop in a tense situation is stupid, as they may think it's an actual gun. People get shot every year for pointing squirt guns and the like.

I agree with the rest, though.

Welpe Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 913374)

Because this isn't star gazing, it is a football game. Even if the mere presence of a laser isn't disruptive (and I'd argue that it is), it has the potential to be and not to mention dangerous to the eyes of the participants.

Rich Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:54am

Working a second round playoff game, I noticed a kid in the student section wearing a referee shirt complete with a whistle around his neck.

I suppose Robert would wait until the kid actually blew the whistle -- instead, I pointed the kid out to the AD (without anyone knowing I did this), who removed the whistle from the kid's person.

asdf Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 913396)
If someone seriously thought that was a problem, the thing to do would be to sneak up behind him,

How about we throw a Spiderman net over him....?

CT1 Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 913345)

Did you actually look at the video? The perp was getting closer & closer to Winston's eyes.