The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

3-Pointer???

Did anyone happen to notice that Rose jumped back from inside the line and banked it home and the ref gave him 3 instead of 2??
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
Did anyone happen to notice that Rose jumped back from inside the line and banked it home and the ref gave him 3 instead of 2??
It was corrected via replay.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah

I saw that coming out of commercial.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Look close. His left foot is in the air before his right foot lifts off. Shoulda been three.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

That certainly was close. I was of the opinion that it should have been a 3...the front foot lifted first (barely) which means his position on the floor was determined by the location of his back foot when it left the floor. But again, it was so very close, I can't fault them calling it a two.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I thought as much as well. IIRC, sideline screens aren't all that large. And they're likely not in HD resolutions either.

The NFL went to HD displays for their IR displays that the R views to uphold/reverse a challenged play.

IMO, with HD readily available, and way cheaper than it ever has been, there's no reason not to implement HD. Where possible, use native HD resolution; none of this 1366x7?? crap.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

I do not think that nitpicking to this degree is consistent with the spirit of the rule. If we have to slide a tongue depressor under his foot to see if it's in the air a millisecond before the other one, it's a 2. Nobody except on this thread has argued otherwise and, for once, I agree with them.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I do not think that nitpicking to this degree is consistent with the spirit of the rule. If we have to slide a tongue depressor under his foot to see if it's in the air a millisecond before the other one, it's a 2. Nobody except on this thread has argued otherwise and, for once, I agree with them.
If they're going to implement IR, I think that's great. Pretty much every pro sport needs it. And some sports at the highest level of the amateur variety need it as well. So if they're going to do it, do it right! I wouldn't want an official to use an Acme Thunderer, since they have a higher chance of not performing when it's needed. Same goes for the tools to review plays.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

My terminology is probably misplaced, but he had one foot inside the line when the habitual shooting motion started.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
My terminology is probably misplaced, but he had one foot inside the line when the habitual shooting motion started.
Again, I don't know the rule specifics, but this is how I would think about it. If a player has an odd shooting style where is front foot is 2 feet in front of his back foot, and he raises the front foot first during his shooting motion, is one supposed to use his back foot to measure shooting location? Seems like a strange rule to me if that is the case.

Chris
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Absolutely irrelevant. A lot of players start their motion behind the line and make a final "plant" on or in front of it prior to jumping for their shot. You still give them two points. When the shooting motion starts isn't relevant to whether it's a two or a three.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru
If a player has an odd shooting style where is front foot is 2 feet in front of his back foot, and he raises the front foot first during his shooting motion, is one supposed to use his back foot to measure shooting location? Seems like a strange rule to me if that is the case.
I'ts not a strange rule. We determine a player's location by the parts touching the floor, not what's in the air. It makes it simpler.

FWIW, I agree that if you need frame-by-frame replay to determine his front foot lifted first, it's a two. Hair isn't meant to be split that finely.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Absolutely irrelevant. A lot of players start their motion behind the line and make a final "plant" on or in front of it prior to jumping for their shot. You still give them two points. When the shooting motion starts isn't relevant to whether it's a two or a three.
You forgot the part where I stated my terminology was misplaced. But thanks.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You forgot the part where I stated my terminology was misplaced. But thanks.
It wasn't the terminology I was taking issue with, it was the premise.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Having one foot inside the line when he started to shoot is completely irrelevant. You use the same concept as a player being in-bounds or OOB. If you jump off one foot with the other foot in the air, the foot that you jump off of determines your location.