The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

I need an answer to this why cant girls go out for football?
i really want to go out but everyone says that im not allowed to? i think that is wrong!
Katee
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

By 'everyone', do you mean the AD and the coach? If 'everyone' is everyone but them, then knock yourself out. There is no rule. Last year there was a female NCAA Div 1 player - a kicker.

There were a few girls on teams in my area last year(NY).

Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
i really want to go out but everyone says that im not allowed to? i think that is wrong!
Katee
As ABoselli stated, everyone doesn't mean anything. You should check with your state association. If the sport isn't offered for girls, they have to allow you to tryout.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Do they want to is the question.

Quote:
Katee
I do not know about you, but I have not seen the swell of interest in trying to play football. There was a girl that played at my HS before I was in HS myself, but she was the only one that wanted to play to my knowledge. Typically, men are faster, stronger and play sports in general that are more violent. Not to say that a girl could not compete, but I do not know too many girls fast enough or big enough to play a Line Position. And if they are big enough, I do not see them benching the same weight as the boys that are.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Thumbs down burst the bubble if you can

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Katee
I do not know about you, but I have not seen the swell of interest in trying to play football. There was a girl that played at my HS before I was in HS myself, but she was the only one that wanted to play to my knowledge. Typically, men are faster, stronger and play sports in general that are more violent. Not to say that a girl could not compete, but I do not know too many girls fast enough or big enough to play a Line Position. And if they are big enough, I do not see them benching the same weight as the boys that are.

Peace
Nice encouragement for the young lady with a dream.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Good night, Rut! Do you have to be a wet blanket on every post. If she wants to try out, she should give it a shot. There are a lot of guys that try out every year that don't have any business being on the field. She should try and figure out how the sport works for her. If it doesn't, she knows.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Every year in Los Angeles there are a few girls playing for one team or another. There are some starters and a few years years ago one got a TD. It's tough for anybody to get into football in HS without any prior experience. Always a few girls on the Pop teams out here.

Good luck
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Katee
Not only is it wrong it is illegal. There is case law that supports your position. I seem to remember a case in Ohio where girls challenged the system in court and won the right to try out for football.

Challenge the system. You can't win if you don't try.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 07:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation PC has just run crazy!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
Good night, Rut! Do you have to be a wet blanket on every post. If she wants to try out, she should give it a shot. There are a lot of guys that try out every year that don't have any business being on the field. She should try and figure out how the sport works for her. If it doesn't, she knows.
Do you have to overract on every post I make!!! If a girl wants to try out for the stupid football team, then try the hell out!!! But I do not know too many girls running or falling at the chance to play football. Ya think their parents, just might, just might have a say in this? Ya think you do not have too many Moms and Dads throwing the pigskin around out back. I know little boys that do not want to play any sports, but their parents want them to, so they play them. I wonder how many little boys are pushed into ballet or ice skating?

Hell the parents of girls in basketball (which is a contact sport) act totally different when little Jennifer gets knocked down as related to their son. But then again, we can all dream that some traditional gender roles do not apply.

I am also going to assume that when she said "everyone," she meant her parents or guardians as well. If they do not want her or allow her to play, she will not play. Schools or organizations are not going to just allow a kid to play without proper consent. Maybe she will shed light on this if that really true or not.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Aug 8th, 2003 at 07:56 PM]
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 07:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Truth hurts!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle

Nice encouragement for the young lady with a dream.
If she was concerned with my words or anyone else saying something, she was and is not serious to begin with.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Katee:

Can a boy go out for the volleyball team at your school?

Are there any boys on your softball team?
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
Katee:

Can a boy go out for the volleyball team at your school?

Are there any boys on your softball team?
It's kind of a different situation, TXMike. If baseball is offered, then a boy would not be allowed to go out for softball in most states. Also, in most states, boys are allowed to play volleyball. But the team wouldn't be allowed to play in the state playoffs.

Title IX entitles the young lady an opportunity to try out for the team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I'm all for the girls trying out for a boys sport but Title IX is really unconstatutional (least it should be)if it does not apply both ways. If there is no men's volleyball team, then men should be allowed to play with no penelty. Should a football team be not allowed to play for a state championship because it has a girl on it?? I don't think so, So it should go both ways.

Now I'll wait for Martha Burke to reply as she is one of the biggest hippocrites out there.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 02:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I'm all for the girls trying out for a boys sport but Title IX is really unconstatutional (least it should be)if it does not apply both ways. If there is no men's volleyball team, then men should be allowed to play with no penelty. Should a football team be not allowed to play for a state championship because it has a girl on it?? I don't think so, So it should go both ways.

Now I'll wait for Martha Burke to reply as she is one of the biggest hippocrites out there.
Title IX has to do with equal accomidations, not just playing in the same sport. And in Illinois, there are Boy's Volleyball teams at many schools. But I do believe Title IX has many flaws to it. Especially when the the law does not put into consideration that boys do not have to be pulled and pushed to play sports.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Katee
It is wrong Katee. If you really want to play , there's a way. But a little story first
My Daughter came to me a few years ago when she was in 8th grade and asked if she could try out for the football team. Despite my initial opposition and warnings, she insisted that this was what she wanted to do. So with my full support off she went and hit the “Grid -Iron”. Well all the bad things I told her would happen, happened. The guys gave her a hard time. She was getting the crap knocked out of her. She had brozes in places ladies shouldn’t. Two weeks into practice she came to me and said she wanted to quit. So we had a long talk about it and after lots of tears and laughs she decided to stick with it. She didn't get to play much during the season but by the last game she was starting on special teams. In that last game she saw lots of action including making an unassisted open field tackle on a running back who’d just broken into open field and had a clear shot all the way to the end zone. Her whole team including the coaches ran onto the field cheering and carried her back to the sideline. She told me on the way home that one play was worth the whole season. I swear it was weeks before she came down. What did she gain from playing? Well in the end she gained the respect of her teammates and coaches. And best of all she gained self-respect and the confidence to complete the hardest of tasks. So my advice young lady is to go for it! Don't expect it to be easy. It won't always be fun but you’ll find some fun and other good things if you stick with it.