The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 20, 2013, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Steps on Player

Does anyone have anything here? Please include rule references.
NFHS Rule Code
Situations:
A23 receives handoff; hole not very clear, several players laying on ground after having been blocked; A23 (a) steps on teammate who is laying facedown on the ground and dives forward to gain 5-yards before being tackled by B (b) steps on B58 who is laying facedown on the ground after having been legally blocked by A60 and dives forward to gain 5-yards before being tackled by B; (c) steps on back of B58 who is on hands and knees trying to get up after having been blocked by A60 and dives for 1st down.

In no case does A23 hurdle, as all players have more in contact with ground than one or both feet.

Thanks

Last edited by golfdesigner; Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 06:31am.
Old Sun Oct 20, 2013, 07:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Nothing illegal in these situations. It is not illegal in itself to step on a teammate. And certainly not illegal if a player is down and they happen to step on them in the process. Now if a player was upright and they were used you might have a different issue. But in all cases you referenced these are basically piles where players either jump over these or on some level step on or over a teammate.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 20, 2013, 08:52am
Medium Kahuna

If the covering official judges that the contact is UNR, then you could have a PF.

But as described, I'd have nothing. Stepping on a player is not in itself a foul, whether he's prone or on hands and knees.

The farther "up" an opponent is, the more I'd be inclined to flag a PF. I doubt I'd ever flag it if the "stepee" is a teammate.
Old Sun Oct 20, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody see the possibility of a 9-4-3e violation in case (a)? I don't see it with only the facts stated, but some add'l details might invite such a ruling.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 08:21am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Anybody see the possibility of a 9-4-3e violation in case (a)? I don't see it with only the facts stated, but some add'l details might invite such a ruling.
No. That rule addresses intentionally contacting the opponent with the leg in the manner of kicking him, kneeing, leg-whipping, etc. It does not address stepping on an opponent.

That said, if I ruled that there was a PF here, I wouldn't need to split hairs between 9-4-3a and 9-4-3g.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
No. That rule addresses intentionally contacting the opponent with the leg in the manner of kicking him, kneeing, leg-whipping, etc. It does not address stepping on an opponent.

That said, if I ruled that there was a PF here, I wouldn't need to split hairs between 9-4-3a and 9-4-3g.
Then they must've renumbered. I meant the one about standing on a teammate to gain some advantage.