The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Pat / fg mechanics

Five man crew NFS level. We had a little sticky situation regards a line shot PAT at the cross bar where our BJ/L hesitated too much in visually signally
the call. We were mentored/clinicianed years ago that if it's good you verbal with your crew mate and try and step out together on the signal. If it is no good ONLY ONE GUY signals it, ie "his" upright or "his" crossbar. Did some google searching and found a 3 page treatise on PAT mechanics from a Southern Nevada Officials Assn which was pretty good but would still like to read some input from this forum. Our questions are on your 5 man crew: Who has the crossbar? Who blows the whistle and kills the play? When does he kill it? What is your mechanic on GOOD or NO GOOD in terms of visual signal? What do you change in any of these areas if it is a FG attempt as opposed to a PAT? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT AND ADVICE!
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Most importantly, you NEVER says good or no good. We use yes or no.

Here, BJ has the whistle and crossbar.

BOTH officials signal good or no good.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:34pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

Same here on all counts. The one difference from official mechanics: in MN, the B and U are under the uprights, not B and L.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Same here on all counts. The one difference from official mechanics: in MN, the B and U are under the uprights, not B and L.
Horrible mechanics. Who's really able to look for contact on the snapper? Or a quick pull and shoot?
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Mechanically the BJ has the whistle, the cross bar and their upright. The wing, whomever is under (we do the flip flop method) has their upright.

Not sure it is a state approved mechanic, but my crew says, "Yes, yes, yes" or "No, no, no."

If the FG/PAT is good, then we both go up. If the attempt is no good, only the person who has their crossbar or upright threatened, then only that official signals "no good."

Peace
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 10:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Mechanically the BJ has the whistle, the cross bar and their upright. The wing, whomever is under (we do the flip flop method) has their upright.

Not sure it is a state approved mechanic, but my crew says, "Yes, yes, yes" or "No, no, no."

If the FG/PAT is good, then we both go up. If the attempt is no good, only the person who has their crossbar or upright threatened, then only that official signals "no good."

Peace
I'm under an upright for the first time in a long time this year when working on Saturdays. The BJ on our crew (I'm the FJ) has a boatload of experience at every possible level and he says "GOOD" or "NO". Never an issue understanding him. Never really thought twice about it.

BJ's whistle. Both signal good, only one signals no good (although we both would if the kick was short).
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:03am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

Ditto.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 08:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Horrible mechanics. Who's really able to look for contact on the snapper? Or a quick pull and shoot?
I am (as the U)... on a try it's not much more difficult than it would be from my 'normal' position ... on a longer field goal, it can be a bit difficult, but them's the breaks when you work a 5-man crew. The head clinician in MN wants it done this way, so we do it this way.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 09:06am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I am (as the U)... on a try it's not much more difficult than it would be from my 'normal' position ... on a longer field goal, it can be a bit difficult, but them's the breaks when you work a 5-man crew. The head clinician in MN wants it done this way, so we do it this way.
Ohio is the same.

How many long FG attempts do you see in HS? Our PTB's accept that compromise.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

We in South Dakota also have the umpire under the bar with the back judge, but only if the snap is from the 15 yard line or inside. The reason given is that they think this mechanic gives better coverage on a fake or a play where there may be a potential touchdown or not. So far, we haven't had any issues with it.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 09:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Ohio is the same.

How many long FG attempts do you see in HS? Our PTB's accept that compromise.
This year, I've seen 2 FG attempts from 35+ yards out over the course of 7 varsity games (and none in sub-varsity games). One of them was a 46-yarder at the end of a half that would've been good from 56.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
We in South Dakota also have the umpire under the bar with the back judge, but only if the snap is from the 15 yard line or inside. The reason given is that they think this mechanic gives better coverage on a fake or a play where there may be a potential touchdown or not. So far, we haven't had any issues with it.

I (the R) have the pylon. I work out at the numbers at about the 13-15 yard line. Really wouldn't be hard to get there if there was a fake or bad snap. Watching highlights around here, most Rs are way too close to the kicker and holder and probably would get steamrolled if there was a breakdown.

I'm a big fan of "when in Rome" but it doesn't mean I have to like the mechanic.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I (the R) have the pylon. I work out at the numbers at about the 13-15 yard line. Really wouldn't be hard to get there if there was a fake or bad snap. Watching highlights around here, most Rs are way too close to the kicker and holder and probably would get steamrolled if there was a breakdown.

I'm a big fan of "when in Rome" but it doesn't mean I have to like the mechanic.
It's got it's pros and cons and I honestly wouldn't say it's better or worse than the traditional mechanics. Our umpire has said that it can be difficult to focus on the action around the snapper and then try to pick up a kicked ball which may or may not be good near his upright, especially on a try where the kick comes from close range in a quick fashion. We haven't had a play yet where we've needed that extra coverage on the pylon that is normally vacated.