The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pat / fg mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96270-pat-fg-mechanics.html)

crpharmacy Sat Oct 12, 2013 09:38am

Pat / fg mechanics

Five man crew NFS level. We had a little sticky situation regards a line shot PAT at the cross bar where our BJ/L hesitated too much in visually signally
the call. We were mentored/clinicianed years ago that if it's good you verbal with your crew mate and try and step out together on the signal. If it is no good ONLY ONE GUY signals it, ie "his" upright or "his" crossbar. Did some google searching and found a 3 page treatise on PAT mechanics from a Southern Nevada Officials Assn which was pretty good but would still like to read some input from this forum. Our questions are on your 5 man crew: Who has the crossbar? Who blows the whistle and kills the play? When does he kill it? What is your mechanic on GOOD or NO GOOD in terms of visual signal? What do you change in any of these areas if it is a FG attempt as opposed to a PAT? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT AND ADVICE!

BktBallRef Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:19am

Most importantly, you NEVER says good or no good. We use yes or no.

Here, BJ has the whistle and crossbar.

BOTH officials signal good or no good.

jTheUmp Sun Oct 13, 2013 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 907359)

Same here on all counts. The one difference from official mechanics: in MN, the B and U are under the uprights, not B and L.

Rich Sun Oct 13, 2013 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 907490)
Same here on all counts. The one difference from official mechanics: in MN, the B and U are under the uprights, not B and L.

Horrible mechanics. Who's really able to look for contact on the snapper? Or a quick pull and shoot?

JRutledge Sun Oct 13, 2013 09:53pm

Mechanically the BJ has the whistle, the cross bar and their upright. The wing, whomever is under (we do the flip flop method) has their upright.

Not sure it is a state approved mechanic, but my crew says, "Yes, yes, yes" or "No, no, no."

If the FG/PAT is good, then we both go up. If the attempt is no good, only the person who has their crossbar or upright threatened, then only that official signals "no good."

Peace

Rich Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 907494)
Mechanically the BJ has the whistle, the cross bar and their upright. The wing, whomever is under (we do the flip flop method) has their upright.

Not sure it is a state approved mechanic, but my crew says, "Yes, yes, yes" or "No, no, no."

If the FG/PAT is good, then we both go up. If the attempt is no good, only the person who has their crossbar or upright threatened, then only that official signals "no good."

Peace

I'm under an upright for the first time in a long time this year when working on Saturdays. The BJ on our crew (I'm the FJ) has a boatload of experience at every possible level and he says "GOOD" or "NO". Never an issue understanding him. Never really thought twice about it.

BJ's whistle. Both signal good, only one signals no good (although we both would if the kick was short).

CT1 Mon Oct 14, 2013 06:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 907359)

Ditto.

jTheUmp Mon Oct 14, 2013 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 907493)
Horrible mechanics. Who's really able to look for contact on the snapper? Or a quick pull and shoot?

I am (as the U)... on a try it's not much more difficult than it would be from my 'normal' position ... on a longer field goal, it can be a bit difficult, but them's the breaks when you work a 5-man crew. The head clinician in MN wants it done this way, so we do it this way.

maven Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 907531)
I am (as the U)... on a try it's not much more difficult than it would be from my 'normal' position ... on a longer field goal, it can be a bit difficult, but them's the breaks when you work a 5-man crew. The head clinician in MN wants it done this way, so we do it this way.

Ohio is the same.

How many long FG attempts do you see in HS? Our PTB's accept that compromise.

REFANDUMP Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:38am

We in South Dakota also have the umpire under the bar with the back judge, but only if the snap is from the 15 yard line or inside. The reason given is that they think this mechanic gives better coverage on a fake or a play where there may be a potential touchdown or not. So far, we haven't had any issues with it.

jTheUmp Mon Oct 14, 2013 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 907533)
Ohio is the same.

How many long FG attempts do you see in HS? Our PTB's accept that compromise.

This year, I've seen 2 FG attempts from 35+ yards out over the course of 7 varsity games (and none in sub-varsity games). One of them was a 46-yarder at the end of a half that would've been good from 56.

Rich Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 907536)
We in South Dakota also have the umpire under the bar with the back judge, but only if the snap is from the 15 yard line or inside. The reason given is that they think this mechanic gives better coverage on a fake or a play where there may be a potential touchdown or not. So far, we haven't had any issues with it.

I (the R) have the pylon. I work out at the numbers at about the 13-15 yard line. Really wouldn't be hard to get there if there was a fake or bad snap. Watching highlights around here, most Rs are way too close to the kicker and holder and probably would get steamrolled if there was a breakdown.

I'm a big fan of "when in Rome" but it doesn't mean I have to like the mechanic.

REFANDUMP Wed Oct 16, 2013 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 907543)
I (the R) have the pylon. I work out at the numbers at about the 13-15 yard line. Really wouldn't be hard to get there if there was a fake or bad snap. Watching highlights around here, most Rs are way too close to the kicker and holder and probably would get steamrolled if there was a breakdown.

I'm a big fan of "when in Rome" but it doesn't mean I have to like the mechanic.

It's got it's pros and cons and I honestly wouldn't say it's better or worse than the traditional mechanics. Our umpire has said that it can be difficult to focus on the action around the snapper and then try to pick up a kicked ball which may or may not be good near his upright, especially on a try where the kick comes from close range in a quick fashion. We haven't had a play yet where we've needed that extra coverage on the pylon that is normally vacated.