Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Who thinks these two are IG??

Peyton Page - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

not my game

Last edited by bigjohn; Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 06:12am.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 06:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Well if these are games under high school rules, the first one yes the second one no. Seeing the free kick go into the end zone tells me either there is a different rule in this state or that they are playing under NCAA rules. If that is the case then the first one is not IG.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well if these are games under high school rules, the first one yes the second one no. Seeing the free kick go into the end zone tells me either there is a different rule in this state or that they are playing under NCAA rules. If that is the case then the first one is not IG.

Peace
Does anyone know if Arkansas high schools play with NCAA rules? If not, that's a pretty big field position issue on that free kick return.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Arkansas? The team if from LA and the team they played was Memphis?

http://www.coachhuey.com/thread/6130...crollTo=611362

Last edited by bigjohn; Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 08:12am.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

Oops, there was an error! | CoachHuey.com
How were we to know this (and how were we to assume Memphis meant Memphis Tennessee - there are a number of Memphises in this country.

In any case - based on this camera angle alone, I probably have yes on both for high school rules, although I can't see enough of the field to be sure on the 2nd one. No for NCAA rules on the first.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Sorry, West Memphis is in Arkansas. The game was played at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. You'll have to pardon my assumption that this game was played in Arkansas, and unless there's something in that article we can't access, then I'll stick with that assumption. Not that any of that really matters. I wasn't aware that LA, AR, or TN, played by NCAA rules, so my question still applies.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:59am

If this is a game played under NF rules (although I have my doubts after seeing the kickoff), then I have IG in both plays. I agree the second play we don't see enough of the field to know for sure. However, after analyzing the video, I'm pretty sure I'd have a flag. The pass lands right on the 35 yard-line. There is no A player to the right edge of the frame which is the 44 YL. The first time you see any A player as the camera pans downfield are a pair of receivers who are moving back toward the LOS at the 47 YL. When that ball landed at the 35, one could assume they were near the 50. No receivers with 15 yards of the ball? I think that's a flag.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Does anyone know if Arkansas high schools play with NCAA rules? If not, that's a pretty big field position issue on that free kick return.
I don't think they do, but then again I only know what I have read here about states that play under NCAA rules.

Quote:
Sorry, West Memphis is in Arkansas. The game was played at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. You'll have to pardon my assumption that this game was played in Arkansas, and unless there's something in that article we can't access, then I'll stick with that assumption. Not that any of that really matters. I wasn't aware that LA, AR, or TN, played by NCAA rules, so my question still applies.
I am also aware of West Memphis as my father was from Memphis and driving there you pass West Memphis, Arkansas. One of the reasons I was not sure this was in Tennessee.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:05am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
No, they use NFHS rules.

Football

Both passes are IG under NFHS.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if these are games under high school rules, the first one yes the second one no.
Peace
I'm curious, what do you see in the second play that under high school rules makes this pass legal?

I've got two easy IG calls here under the HS code.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
If this is a game played under NF rules (although I have my doubts after seeing the kickoff), then I have IG in both plays. I agree the second play we don't see enough of the field to know for sure. However, after analyzing the video, I'm pretty sure I'd have a flag. The pass lands right on the 35 yard-line. There is no A player to the right edge of the frame which is the 44 YL. The first time you see any A player as the camera pans downfield are a pair of receivers who are moving back toward the LOS at the 47 YL. When that ball landed at the 35, one could assume they were near the 50. No receivers with 15 yards of the ball? I think that's a flag.
Under NF rules, we are to consider the ability of the QB. He was throwing to to something, but he did not appear to have the ability to get it there on the run. That looks a lot more like he was trying to get it to someone. He did not throw it out of bounds like the previous throw. I would do my best to likely talk my Referee out of this call or give information to say that a receiver is in the area.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:15am
Archaic Power Monger

I'd have IG on the second one under NCAA. There's no receiver even remotely in the area.

I think the kickoff was just botched, either the WH had a brain fart or didn't know the rule.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I'm curious, what do you see in the second play that under high school rules makes this pass legal?

I've got two easy IG calls here under the HS code.
That is why they call it judgment right?

Part of the rule is the ability of the QB. It has nothing to do with someone being in the area, it has to do with what he is trying to do. He is clearly to me trying to complete a pass, but his ability is lacking and he is running. I see these kinds of throws all the time in high school. If he was truly dumping the ball, he would have been more causal with the throw. Receivers appear to go too far and not come back to the ball and he tries to throw to a receiver that clearly comes back into the picture. I am giving him every benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is why they call it judgment right?

Part of the rule is the ability of the QB. It has nothing to do with someone being in the area, it has to do with what he is trying to do. He is clearly to me trying to complete a pass, but his ability is lacking and he is running. I see these kinds of throws all the time in high school. If he was truly dumping the ball, he would have been more causal with the throw. Receivers appear to go too far and not come back to the ball and he tries to throw to a receiver that clearly comes back into the picture. I am giving him every benefit of the doubt in those situations.

Peace
Ok.... I don't agree based on the prior throw, but that's the beauty of what we do... Different viewpoints, different judgments...
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:38am
Official & ***** Member

2 IGs to me. In #2, the QB is under pressure & appears to try to save yardage.