The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Center Elligible

Can the center be elligiable for a pass on the swing gate if he has the correct number and is the end player on one end of the line? Where is this covered in High School rulebook?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
Can the center be elligiable for a pass on the swing gate if he has the correct number and is the end player on one end of the line? Where is this covered in High School rulebook?
Snapper, not center -- he's not the center of anything in that formation.

It's not going to be specifically covered. He's an end, by rule, and he's eligible by number. Isn't that enough?
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:24am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

It's not going to be specifically covered. He's an end, by rule, and he's eligible by number. Isn't that enough?
Doesn't he have to report?!
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Question often comes up and the answer can be clouded with the wording of the numbering exceptions (7-2-5). It seems pretty clear in both exceptions (1,2) that the snapper is not an eligible receiver. But of course this only applies when the offense "sets or shifts into a scrimmage kick formation."

If in a swinging gate formation and there is a player lined up "in scrimmage kick" formation, then the snapper would not be eligbile.(2-14-2)

So, I am thinking of a situation that is not covered in one of the exceptions that would allow the snapper to be eligible...like a normal scrimamge play (regardless of down), no scrimmage kick formation, 5 players #50-79 requirements met, and #23 is on the end of the line, snaps the ball and goes and catches a pass....sounds legal to me... unless I am missing something...in that case my answer would be the same as Rich's...any other thoughts out there?

Last edited by whitehat; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 10:43am.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Question often comes up and the answer can be clouded with the wording of the numbering exceptions (7-2-5). It seems pretty clear in both exceptions (1,2) that the snapper is not an eligible receiver. But of course this only applies when the offense "sets or shifts into a scrimmage kick formation."

If in a swinging gate formation and there is a player lined up "in scrimmage kick" formation, then the snapper would not be eligbile.(2-14-2)

So, I am thinking of a situation that is not covered in one of the exceptions that would allow the snapper to be eligible...like a normal scrimamge play (regardless of down), no scrimmage kick formation, 5 players #50-79 requirements met, and #23 is on the end of the line, snaps the ball and goes and catches a pass....sounds legal to me... unless I am missing something...in that case my answer would be the same as Rich's...any other thoughts out there?
Does this apply on 4th down or during a try, though? Only the first exception in 7-2-5 says the snapper is ineligible and must be in between the ends. The second exception for 4th down or try does not make this distinction or bar the snapper from being on the end or, by inference, ineligible. It seems that since care was taken to note that on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down that there are restrictions on the snapper, the omission of said restrictions in the exception for 4th down and tries would make it legal.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

And I was assuming 4th down/try. The rest is covered in the area on numbering exceptions, etc. See above.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:24am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
The second exception for 4th down or try does not make this distinction or bar the snapper from being on the end or, by inference, ineligible. It seems that since care was taken to note that on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down that there are restrictions on the snapper, the omission of said restrictions in the exception for 4th down and tries would make it legal.
Indeed. Exception 2 basically suspends the requirement that interior linemen wear ineligible numbers. You could have all 11 wearing eligible numbers, and if the snapper is on the end of the line, he's eligible.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Here is where I am having a problem with exception 2:

If all 11 players are numbered 1-11 (eligible #s) which players are in the game according to the part of the exception that says "a player in the game under this exception must assume an initial postion on his line of scrimmage between the ends..."?

...do we just assume #11 player on the end of the line, who may or may not be the snapper, is not replacing one of the 5 50-79 guys?

Last edited by whitehat; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 12:33pm.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 12:33pm
Chain of Fools

The 5 of them that assume the position normally numbered 50-79.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 12:52pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:

If all 11 players are numbered 1-11 (eligible #s) which players are in the game according to the part of the exception that says "a player in the game under this exception must assume an initial postion on his line of scrimmage between the ends..."?

...do we just assume #11 player on the end of the line, who may or may not be the snapper, is not replacing one of the 5 50-79 guys?
If he's on the end of the line, he's not replacing one of the ineligibles.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Scrounge, I went back and re-read your post and that made a lot of sense (and maven and HL as well). I see what you are saying and generally agree. However, we all, from time to time, see players numbered 50-79 legally lined up on the end of line.

Surehands, back to your OP. Did we answer your question? "Can the center be eligible for a pass on the swing gate if he has the correct number and is the end player on one end of the line? Where is this covered in High School rulebook?"

According to 7-2-5b I would say yes he is eligible as long as...
1. snapper has an eligible number and is on the end of the line...and...
2. it is done on 4th down or a try ...and...
3. its not done on 1st, second or 3rd down...and...
4. the snapper is not replacing one of the #50-79 guys. (But, we have all seen #50-79 guys legally line up on the end of the line and..the clincher...it may be hard to convince a coach that the opppents normal snapper is not usually a #50-79 guy who was replaced by #22 who caught the pass and scored the winning point(s)).

I am truly not trying to be difficult Just seems like they could clarify and simplify this one a little more.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:17pm
Chain of Fools

As my state supervisor said, "don't make this any harder than it actually is".

The exception applies only to scrimmage kicks. Downs 1-3, only the snapper can have an otherwise eligble number. Down 4 and try- any/all K players can have eligible numbers. The phrase "normally numbered" applies to normal non-scrimmage kick offensive formations being applied to the scrimmage kick.

The end is still the end, a back is still a back. They are still required to be eligible by number and position.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
As my state supervisor said, "don't make this any harder than it actually is".

The exception applies only to scrimmage kicks. Downs 1-3, only the snapper can have an otherwise eligble number. Down 4 and try- any/all K players can have eligible numbers. The phrase "normally numbered" applies to normal non-scrimmage kick offensive formations being applied to the scrimmage kick.

The end is still the end, a back is still a back. They are still required to be eligible by number and position.
So, the snapper can only be eligible if he is on the end, and if he's wearing an eligible number. That's it, that's the list. NO need to worry about what down it is, or what the formation is (other than the fact that the snapper must be an uncovered end.)

??
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:51pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So, the snapper can only be eligible if he is on the end, and if he's wearing an eligible number. That's it, that's the list.
Yep.

Quote:
NO need to worry about what down it is, or what the formation is (other than the fact that the snapper must be an uncovered end.)
??
An end is "uncovered" by definition. If there's another player on the LOS between the sideline and the "end"... then that other player is the end.
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The 5 players on the LOS between the ends are the 5 players that are in the game under the numbering exception

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith