The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Center injury

Officials time out for injury. The center is injured on a play. Is it alright for the backup center and QB to take snaps before resuming the game? Should it be done on the sideline? On the field? Can they use the game ball? There was ample time during the injury time out to have a few snaps. Rules references appreciated.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 02:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen
Officials time out for injury. The center is injured on a play. Is it alright for the backup center and QB to take snaps before resuming the game? Should it be done on the sideline? On the field? Can they use the game ball? There was ample time during the injury time out to have a few snaps. Rules references appreciated.
CANADIAN RULING:

There is nothing in the rules that prevent this. Although, if we allow this, then shall be allow a new DB some over-the-shoulder interception simulations?

A backup centre should be picked in practice, and snap a few every practice. Larry Bird used to go 2 hours early to practice and stay 2 hours late. All he did was shoot. It's no wonder the guy was money when shooting.

The backup centre and QB could do the same thing - but maybe for just 10 minutes.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Since there doesn't seem to be a rule to cover this type of situation, would anyone offer some suggestions outside ofthe rulebook on how best to handle this.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since there doesn't seem to be a rule to cover this type of situation, would anyone offer some suggestions outside ofthe rulebook on how best to handle this.
The best way to "handle this" is to do your job, and not do someone else's job. You don't need to make this your business unless they are doing something they shouldn't. (Note - you mention the game ball in your OP - the game ball belongs to the official during an injury... it shouldn't be handled by players at all)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with the above including use of game ball. If we know the rules we know there is nothing making it illegal.

As for the DB, he has the side line to keep loose but if there is a time-out, and he is a player, there is no rule to prevent it as long as he stays on the field,
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
The best way to "handle this" is to do your job, and not do someone else's job. You don't need to make this your business unless they are doing something they shouldn't. (Note - you mention the game ball in your OP - the game ball belongs to the official during an injury... it shouldn't be handled by players at all)

NFHS
The coach asked me if his QB could take a few snaps with the new center. I didn't make it my business, however I needed to give the coach an answer

This is what I said. You can take a time out and there is no problem. However for an injury time out your players need to stay on the field. I agree with your point on the game ball that they shouldn't be allowed to use it. However I still don't know if the new substitute center can bring a ball onto the field during an injury time out and practice snaps with the QB. I guess the only time I would need to make it my business is if the other coach complained. I would probably let them do it on the field near their sidelines.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS
The coach asked me if his QB could take a few snaps with the new center. I didn't make it my business, however I needed to give the coach an answer

This is what I said. You can take a time out and there is no problem. However for an injury time out your players need to stay on the field. I agree with your point on the game ball that they shouldn't be allowed to use it. However I still don't know if the new substitute center can bring a ball onto the field during an injury time out and practice snaps with the QB. I guess the only time I would need to make it my business is if the other coach complained. I would probably let them do it on the field near their sidelines.
Fair enough, and probably a decent reply to the coach considering you were put on the spot.

To your question - can you think of any rule prohibiting a ball on the field during a timeout? Even if the other coach complained ... this is nothing.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Fair enough, and probably a decent reply to the coach considering you were put on the spot.

To your question - can you think of any rule prohibiting a ball on the field during a timeout? Even if the other coach complained ... this is nothing.

No I can't think of a rule prohibiting the ball on the field for an injury TO. Next time I will let it happen and try to make sure the snaps take place near the sideline. Good exchange of ideas. Thanks for your input. I learned something new
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However for an injury time out your players need to stay on the field.
Why is that? What if it is a major injury and the game is delayed a longer time. I would assume that so long as they are all established as players at the ready for play (in the huddle for example) that they could leave the playing field if they wanted to.

Is this HS specific?

James
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22
Why is that? What if it is a major injury and the game is delayed a longer time. I would assume that so long as they are all established as players at the ready for play (in the huddle for example) that they could leave the playing field if they wanted to.

Is this HS specific?

James
REPLY: Of course if it's a major injury that will require a long time on the field, common sense dictates that you send the teams to their sidelines until the field is cleared. But your standard run of the mill injury (cramp, etc.) is nothing more than an official's time out. Keep the players on the field so that you can be ready to go once the injured player leaves.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Of course if it's a major injury that will require a long time on the field, common sense dictates that you send the teams to their sidelines until the field is cleared. But your standard run of the mill injury (cramp, etc.) is nothing more than an official's time out. Keep the players on the field so that you can be ready to go once the injured player leaves.
Bob,

How are you defining "on the field"?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22

Is this HS specific?

James
NF 3-7-3
During the same dead-ball interval, no substitue shall become a player and then withdraw and no player shall withdraw and re-enter as a substitute unless a penalty is accepted, a dead-ball foul occurs, there is a charged time-out or the period ends.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

In the Illinois v Wiscousin game, the Illinois QB was injuried. The backup QB came just onto the field with a ball and the center (who apparently could not leave the field) came over and started to give him snaps. The line judge immediately stopped them.