The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

there is nothing two way about these devices either.

audio recorder, still photographs, film, analog or digital video and/or internet depictions

if they fit the description of devices why wouldn't a non electronic sign?

Matter of fact the word electronic has not been in rule 1-6 for some time but is has said still photographs and internet depictions are not to be used for coaching purposes.

My point is that it is now illegal to hold up your ipad with a picture on it but not the play call placards. The rule needs an edit to either say "electronic" devices or to say no pictures or film etc of the ongoing game.

Last edited by bigjohn; Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 08:39am.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

NOTE: Each state association may authorize the use of a drum by a team composed of
deaf or partially deaf players, in order to establish a rhythmic cadence following the
ready-for-play signal.

If a drum is a communication device then what about a sign??
Quote:
Definition of Communication Devices
Communication devices are the machines that assist in transmission of data. The versatility of a computer gets enhanced considerably when it can communicate with other devices and computers. For a two-way communication, a computer must be equipped with a modulator for outgoing data and a demodulator for the incoming data. This modulating device is referred to as a modem. There are various kinds of communication devices in the present day market.
Nice try FBR but people have been communicating with non electronic devices for years.

Last edited by bigjohn; Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:25pm.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Someone at Coach Huey's thinks it applies now even to a megaphone -- you know, a cone, usually of metal, that you yell thru -- and not just to a bullhorn (electric device).
Ah, no they don't.

The poster was asking about a bullhorn, not a megaphone, even though he used the word megaphone in his question. I understood that when he asked and I answered the question. In his next reply, he clarified that he indeed was asking about a bullhorn.

He would not have asked about electronic devices if he were not asking about an electronic megaphone, otherwise known as a bullhorn.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 10:58am.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
NOTE: Each state association may authorize the use of a drum by a team composed of
deaf or partially deaf players, in order to establish a rhythmic cadence following the
ready-for-play signal.

If a drum is a communication device then what about a sign??
Using a drum for a deaf player is an exception to the rule. It does not apply to any other situation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Ah, no they don't.

The poster was asking about a bullhorn, not a megaphone, even though he used the word megaphone in his question. I understood that when he asked and I answered the question. In his next reply, he clarified that he indeed was asking about a bullhorn.

He would not have asked about electronic devices if he were not asking about an electronic megaphone, otherwise known as a bullhorn.
But downthread, after I clarified that, another poster there who officiates said a paper megaphone would be illegal too.

Meanwhile here BigJohn wrote, quoting apparently from the rules rather than the Case Book:
Quote:
ready-for-play signal.
Why would they have felt a need to include such a note if sound-focusing devices such as megaphones were not covered by the rule?
Old Sat Aug 31, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Using a drum for a deaf player is an exception to the rule. It does not apply to any other situation.
Which means the NFHS considers a drum a communication device and drums are not electronic.

I am just saying that the rule should say "electronic" communication device if that is all that is covered by the rule.

Last edited by bigjohn; Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 12:09pm.