The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

knowing when its time to call it quits

just wondering out there(NFHS) how your associations address when its time for someone to come off the field..but might not be ready to do it yet. Do you use evaluations? Strong suggestions, move him to the clock, or what? Would like to know how other associations handle this.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

There is no one that makes this decision but the officials themselves. Of course it might happen quicker for those that get assignments scaled down or someone removed from a crew, but that has nothing to do with anyone but the crews and the assignors in question, which are not associated with any association directly. And yes we have people that stay on too long but many just leave after they feel they have accomplished enough or they have injuries that will not go away.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 08:51am
Chain of Fools

From what I've seen here, it's pretty much left up to the official's discretion. Some get injured, some get ticked off based on the assignments they begin to receive, a few just figure out they've done it long enough.

2012 was my 14th varsity season, 19th overall. I would like to achieve 25 years as a varsity official but that will put me at age 61. My main WH is 68. Two years ago he detached a quad at U in a college game and is due for a hip replacement this spring. I hope I can hold up as long but who knows?

The one thing I have noticed is some guys will ramble on about it for two or three years before they pull the trigger.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
You should start this conversation with your crew chief, unless that is you. Then turn to your assignment chairmen- if your crew chief is comfortable with it. Ask them to be frank, and be prepared to hear their frankness.

It is good that you are asking the questions now. Good luck and I hope you get to retire on your own terms!
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

This is a very tough question. Personally, I don't want to retire when my abilities have declined. If I can no longer keep up with the players and do my job as I have in my prime (still there I think ) then it may be time to go out to pasture. Even if you leave the field there are other ways you can stay involved in officiating. Training, clock opertator, etc.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:38pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
If I can no longer keep up with the players
If that's a prerequisite, I'm toast.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I have been a white hat for 28 years and have had to "have the talk" with two of my crew mates.

The first was when I found out he had a stroke over the summer and neglected to let me know. When his daughter called and told me, it was over for him. He was extremely gracious and understood. We remained friends until he passed away.

The second was our linesman who I suspected had early onset dementia. He was not nearly as understanding but his wife was very helpful. He is now in a home for advanced dementia patients.

I think it helps that I am a department head at work and deal with HR issues regularly. But it is always hard to tell one of your friends that his time on the field is up.

I hope someone treats me the same way when it is time for me to go and I don't get it.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 11:02am
Archaic Power Monger

It's never easy and there's no type of guidance or process here. There are some that don't want to let go and I see their friends pained by the fact that they know they aren't able to keep up any more but don't have the heart to tell them because they are friends. It's a no win at times.

I can only hope and pray I will know when it is my time and let go graciously.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've fired two crew members. It's not easy.

One never again latched on to a crew and passed away a year or two ago. When I went to his funeral, there was a picture of 3 of us along with this official dressed in baseball umpire uniforms before some game we worked 4-man.

In retrospect, the decision was the right one (to fire the official), but I wonder if I could've done it a bit differently.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

We change crews every two years in my HS chapter. In the past, a lot of crews stayed together (or 4 out of 5 did) for a long time. That's starting to change. I have seen the progression of some guys from one crew, down to another that doesn't have quite the schedule as the first on, and so on. Some guys leave altogether. For us, its important for the crew chief to stick to the 2 year commitment and move on after that if someone needs to retire. I don't see that as a firing since there is no commitment beyond the 2 years.

Up until about 2 years ago, we were seeing crew chiefs that needed to retire stay on and then struggle with a schedule that wasn't close to one they had previously had. When you go from 12-15 games down to 7, then down to 3, you start to get out of the habit of working football on Friday nights and soon find other things to do.

I don't see myself running the clock when I leave the field. I don't like doing that now. However, I *might* go to something like the radio booth -- I've actually been approached about that by a group that's doing high school games.