The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 12:27pm
Chain of Fools

Hudl- any officials utilizing it?

We've doing the DVD in a mailer thing for several years but are beginning to have diminishing returns. Many of our area coaches have been telling us to get on Hudl.

I've signed up for their 10 day free trial program but need to get a handle on how it works. We aren't exchanging video like schools would do. How do we initiate getting the video from schools- call, e-mail? I don't see how to initiate a request without uploading video for which a school would reciprocate with.

Any experiences out here?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

It was used for most of our college games in the conference I mainly worked. Other schools used it hit and miss at that level. No HS used it at all.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

You don't need to purchase Hudl in order to use Hudl. If you have the teams send you a recruiter copy you can log in with a free account and view the game. You don't have all the functionality of Hudl (i.e. creating playlists or telestrating) but it's still better than a DVD version because you can look at specific plays. You can also download the game to your computer and get a separate file for each play.

But if your crew or association has the means to get your own license I highly recommend it.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 02:58pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
You don't need to purchase Hudl in order to use Hudl. If you have the teams send you a recruiter copy you can log in with a free account and view the game.
This is how my crew has used it. About 1/3 of our games were on it last season. I expect that proportion to continue to rise.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

All of my HS games, except maybe one, were sent to my crew chief as a recruiting package.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 03:34pm
Chain of Fools

Thanks- Hudl doesn't really make that info readily available, as I could understand.

I'm using the 10 day "free trial". We've tried to get our RSO to invest in it but haven't been successful.

I guess the drawback is still getting some Hyper-Busy-Self Absorbed-High Strung Phys Ed teacher to actually take the time to send me the info, which is kind of where we are right now the DVD's.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Our chapter signed up for the $800 per year package. We received around 95% of all games worked by our chapter. What I do is email the coaches and they will send me the game. From their I can review the film, make clips, highlight plays, circle plays, draw arrows. It's pretty much endless with what you can do. I can tell you that from day 1 to day 30 I was able to see the improvement from our officials. From my critiques to their own self evaluations it was very much a great bargain. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

We looked into it for our state association last year but they were quoting us $3k for our "team" since we would have over 800 "team members". We also would have to exchange film with schools which I don't believe is true. They really need to add an officiating option since our use of video is slightly different than schools.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:25pm
Chain of Fools

bison- from what I read on their website, they were quoting you the top of the line premium package. The basic is $200- you can just exchange for the season, no bells and whistles. Youth leagues have a $29 per month option.

That top end stuff is really paying for gobs of server space to store the videos.

I questioned the "exchange issue" with an online rep today from Hudl. He said that wasn't necessary for officials (obviously, we have nothing to trade). However there is no method presently via Hudl to request a video from a school in our one way status. You've either ahve got to contact the school or have prior arrangements to have them let you access it. That is the rub- I'm suggesting our RSO create a formal agreement with the area schools who are on it to either feed it to the referees over the weekend as our WH's have a conference call on Sunday night. They could then distribute on to the crew(s). Alternatively, let the RSO access it and then forward on to the R's or the whole crew.

What would really be nice would be to tie it all into The Arbiter someway.

Presently what I do is rip the game DVD to my PC, convert to QuickTime and then transfer via iTunes to my iPad where I then use the ReplayBooth app to cut clips. I can then e-mail the clips or create a playlist to show at meetings on a projector. I can telestrate with the app also. I also upload the game to an unlisted YouTube channel and e-mail that link to the crew so they can have it as quickly as I can get it to them.

This is all very time consuming, particularly the format conversion. Add in the old guys who just want a copy of the DVD, which takes a lot of time to make on a laptop, and I spend more time creating then I do breaking down and evaluating.

I just figure there's a better way.

Either way though, it appears I'm dependent on a coach getting a hard copy or digital access for me to make it all happen. This can be the hardest part.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:57pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Our chapter signed up for the $800 per year package. We received around 95% of all games worked by our chapter.
How many games is that approximately? Just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
From their I can review the film, make clips, highlight plays, circle plays, draw arrows.
That is cool ... I have heard of them, but haven't really used their software — need to check them out.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:02pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

We have a great video system for the college conferences and high school chapters that use our scheduling and chapter management software. You can upload plays, do "You Make the Call" surveys, and have officials and coaches upload plays as well.

Everything works directly viewable on mobile as well as within your browser, or you can download the video for offline viewing.

Would love to hear from anyone about what features you would be looking for in regards to video for officials.

The one common denominator that I have noticed with these sports video programs is that they are geared towards the players and coaches ... officials are then added on as an after thought. So, they don't really do things the way we want them too.

Any feedback, thoughts, questions, comments, etc. are welcome — post here in this thread and/or email me directly at [email protected]

(FYI — for those that do not know because I don't usually post on the Football board ... it is me and my company, BlueZebra Sports, that runs Officiating.com and this forum)

- Brad
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
We've doing the DVD in a mailer thing for several years but are beginning to have diminishing returns. Many of our area coaches have been telling us to get on Hudl.

I've signed up for their 10 day free trial program but need to get a handle on how it works. We aren't exchanging video like schools would do. How do we initiate getting the video from schools- call, e-mail? I don't see how to initiate a request without uploading video for which a school would reciprocate with.

Any experiences out here?
According to Drebelbis, he's trying to get it for every official in the state, paid for by the NCHSAA.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 11:17pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
According to Drebelbis, he's trying to get it for every official in the state, paid for by the NCHSAA.
God bless him and the fine work he is doing. I think I'll hang onto my $200. Sorry Hudl
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlin nc View Post
god bless him and the fine work he is doing. I think i'll hang onto my $200. Sorry hudl
+1 :d

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 07, 2013, 11:33pm
Chain of Fools

[QUOTE=Brad;870779]We have a great video system for the college conferences and high school chapters that use our scheduling and chapter management software. You can upload plays, do "You Make the Call" surveys, and have officials and coaches upload plays as well.

Everything works directly viewable on mobile as well as within your browser, or you can download the video for offline viewing.

Would love to hear from anyone about what features you would be looking for in regards to video for officials.

The one common denominator that I have noticed with these sports video programs is that they are geared towards the players and coaches ... officials are then added on as an after thought. So, they don't really do things the way we want them too.

Any feedback, thoughts, questions, comments, etc. are welcome — post here in this thread and/or email me directly at [email protected]

Here's the problem Brad. We will be the afterthought, unless a state organization forces the schools to cooperate. The system I would envision would be a central repository of video where that team, their opponents, and the officials who worked that game had access to that particular game. Telestration and bookmarking would be key assets to the program.
Server space and security would be the main issues but I'm sure can be worked out.

Coaches are a paranoid lot and don't want their game video in the hands of others. Unfortunately for them, modern technology has made that attitude obsolete. Anyone could sit in the upper seats of the stands and film a game with a relatively inexpensive camera. They can then take that video and distribute via any number of methods, including YouTube. You would have to get the older ones out of that mindset.

Your issue will be overcoming already established programs for video exchange and scheduling. While merging them into one powerful set of software would be cool, getting schools to want to change with the only selling point being that the officials can have access too will not work. They could care less.

-