The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Thanks for the answer. I guess what throws me off is when you see (generally) a lineman "flinch", and the flag is thrown.
If the "flinch" - sudden movement - most officials would rule that as simulating a snap. Which is why the flag gets thrown.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think the comment was directed at you. The comments was directed at a certain coach that likes to stir up trouble every time we discuss rule he has never had to enforce. And yes we did discuss this before this year and many times before. Your question was reasonable and clearly looking for some understanding. All I was trying to do was clarify to the uninformed why this is not called. Some of us do this on a regular basis and others (not talking about you) like to gripe about things they do not have the heart to do themselves.

Thanks for your question.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If the "flinch" - sudden movement - most officials would rule that as simulating a snap. Which is why the flag gets thrown.
Thank you both.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:50pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
To those of you poking fun or griping that "you've already discussed this
Not every post is a reply to you.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I see a lot of trading of TE and WB etc then an opposite side back going in motion almost immediately. Also the guard signally the snap by slapping the center technically violates the rule I posted. I also see lineman with their hand down squatting and looking to the sideline for play change, spirit of the rule says once the hand is down, stop moving.

c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his hand(s) or makes any quick movement.

Last edited by bigjohn; Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 10:39pm.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 10:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I see a lot of trading of TE and WB etc then an opposite side back going in motion almost immediately. Also the guard signally the snap by slapping the center technically violates the rule I posted. I also see lineman with their hand down squatting and looking to the sideline for play change, spirit of the rule says once the hand is down, stop moving.

c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his hand(s) or makes any quick movement.
No it doesn't. I am watching off and on the Fiesta Bowl and both teams do a lot of movement before the snap and even in a couple of cases look to the sideline. They are getting set before the snap and that was not what was asked. It was asked that could they look to the sideline and nothing in the rule suggests they cannot. Also not all lineman in the examples last night were with their hands on the ground. So yes they can look around as long as they do not simulate the snap. And this is why once again if you had to call this part of the game and you flagged every movement you would be working freshman ball for the rest of your life. Better yet you would not get a snap off if you were that technical for sure.

And as I am watching the Fiesta Bowl, I just saw a call for players not getting set.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 7 Section 2 ART. 6 . . . After a huddle or shift all 11 players of A shall come to an absolute
stop and shall remain stationary simultaneously without movement of hands,
feet, head or body for at least one second before the snap.

Myth or Rule?

doesn't matter I guess!
Nothing in that rule says they can't shift AFTER all 11 are set for 1 second.

They simply have to reset for 1 second again before the ball is snapped.

They can do this as many times as they like within the allotted play clock time.

Quote:
Double BS.

1- You enjoy nothing more than spewing such crap to make officials look bad.

2- No rule says he must stop moving once his hand is down. There's no such thing as the "spirit of the rule" saying anything.

Start your hibernation, bigjohn. See you in August.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 11:08pm.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
To those of you poking fun or griping that "you've already discussed this", I lurk here a lot. I try to increase my knowledge of the rules. How many times have I heard gripes about fans not knowing the rules? Or people don't respect what an official does? So here's a fan, willingly admitting he doesn't know the rules and wants to learn, asking what I thought was a simple question. I'm sorry I so interrupted your day.
Sam, HLinNC was referring to the comments by bigjohn who says he's a coach but really wants to be an official. He wasn't referring to you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

You are missing the point, but I understand that.

I agree it is often done correctly but many times all 11 are not set when someone goes in motion or the linemen all get set quickly and they run a play. Sometimes they act like they are running a play on a quick and then everyone drops their butt and looks over at the sideline. The rules get stretched and they are given a lot of latitude because they always do it.

There is a good bit of this going on here in Ohio because all the MAC schools are using this signalling system using boards and 4 coaches signaling.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 07:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You are missing the point, but I understand that.

I agree it is often done correctly but many times all 11 are not set when someone goes in motion or the linemen all get set quickly and they run a play. Sometimes they act like they are running a play on a quick and then everyone drops their butt and looks over at the sideline. The rules get stretched and they are given a lot of latitude because they always do it.

There is a good bit of this going on here in Ohio because all the MAC schools are using this signalling system using boards and 4 coaches signaling.
You know what? You're right. Their hearts are beating and they're breathing. Flag them all day.

One day you'll have an epiphany and figure out what "spirit of the rules" means and you'll come back and tell us how silly you've been all these years.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Not every post is a reply to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Sam, HLinNC was referring to the comments by bigjohn who says he's a coach but really wants to be an official. He wasn't referring to you.
Sorry, couldn't tell since no one was quoted.