The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I think coins which hit the ground are ambiguous about a quarter of the time.

YMWV
I use a silver dollar so it's never a quarter of the time.

Worst conditions: Afternoon NAIA game, actual temperature 9 degrees with lots of wind. Wind chill must have been at least -20. Two arch-rivals and as a BJ of a 5-man crew I had to record the major penalties of which there were many due to the rivalry. It took a LONG time to warm up after that game.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
On the other hand, I had a coinflip in a JV game this year where I let it hit the ground and it landed on its edge (the grass was very thick, and I only had a quarter).

My white-hat always gets the captain's choice BEFORE he flips the coin, and then both he and I (U) repeat the captain's choice before the toss occurs. He catches the toss on a grass field and lets it land on a turf field.

Anyway, back on topic: my most interesting game was a 7th grade game about 4 years back... monsoon conditions, 1-3 inches of standing water in most places on the field, both teams wearing uniforms that made them indistinguishable from each other after about the middle of the 2nd quarter. (plain white helmets, white pants, white jerseys for one and gold jerseys for the other)

At one point we had a fumble pileup where I went in, figured out what player had the ball, and then had to ask him which team he was on before I could point in a direction.

The kids had a blast... I had to spend about 2 hours scrubbing my knickers after that.

What would've been my most interesting weather game was the state quarterfinal game my crew was assigned 2 years ago. Most of the quarterfinal games were being played on Friday night; ours was on Saturday. About 11:00 Friday night, it started snowing. By noon on Saturday we had over 15 inches of snow, with no signs of letting up, and the game was due to start in 5 hours. The game was postponed until the following Monday and moved indoors to the Metrodome. I was actually disappointed; I was really looking forward to a snow game.

Did you get a state semi last year and a state final this year? We received our state semi today in the mail from the MSHSL. We had a state 1/4 last year (our first) and we had the time of our lives. It was an awesome game decided by a missed two point conversion in the final 2 minutes. This of course will be our first time working at the Metrodome and we are really looking forward to it.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Doing a state championship game several years ago as the HL in the wind and ice. WH flips the coin and kid calls heads and coin drops to the ground. Kid says "hey we won the toss." WH says: "No I dropped it we have to toss it again." Same thing happens the second toss, with same kid winning toss, or so he thinks. Third try, WH finally catches coin, kid looses the toss this time despite having won the first two. We laugh about it now with the recently retired WH and refer to it as the best "1 out of 3" coin toss episode.
After that, and the NFL incident, I always have the kid call heads or tails before tossing, repeat it out loud, and I always tell them I am going to let it hit the ground. Never had a problem...
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I have a coin flip app for my iPhone, you guys can use it if you do one of my games.
How will you know if it's heads or tails, though, if the phone lands screen down after you toss it?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. I let the coin land (in defiance of state directive) unless it is muddy. I never have a problem.

2. In pregame on a VERY rainy stretch at the end of the season a few years back, home coach says. "If a play ends out of bounds on our sideline I am concerned that someone could drown." I thought he was joking. He wasn't. There was 6 inches of standing water just out of bounds. Since my mom told me that one could drown in a spoonful of water, I couldn't help agreeing with him.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 09:09am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
In pregame on a VERY rainy stretch at the end of the season a few years back, home coach says. "If a play ends out of bounds on our sideline I am concerned that someone could drown." I thought he was joking. He wasn't. There was 6 inches of standing water just out of bounds.
"Fine, Coach. We're going home. Call us when you reschedule the game."
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:15pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BB Ref View Post
Did you get a state semi last year and a state final this year? We received our state semi today in the mail from the MSHSL. We had a state 1/4 last year (our first) and we had the time of our lives. It was an awesome game decided by a missed two point conversion in the final 2 minutes. This of course will be our first time working at the Metrodome and we are really looking forward to it.
Unfortunately, my crew got bounced out of the playoffs after that quarterfinal game (not that we kicked any major calls or anything... just that there aren't enough games for everyone to get one). We'll get back there soon I hope.

When you get your semifinal date/time figured out, drop me a PM. I work downtown and usually spend most of the semifinal weekend at the dome watching games with some other officials.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I use a silver dollar so it's never a quarter of the time.

Worst conditions: Afternoon NAIA game, actual temperature 9 degrees with lots of wind. Wind chill must have been at least -20. Two arch-rivals and as a BJ of a 5-man crew I had to record the major penalties of which there were many due to the rivalry. It took a LONG time to warm up after that game.
Sioux Falls, Carroll or MT Tech?