The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Contact w/ coach in restricted area

Line judge contacts team A's head coach in the restricted area during a live ball. Flag is thrown, 15 yard penalty against the head coach.

He then argues the call to the point that the R flags him for UC.

Is he disqualified?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Not in NCAA.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 03:18pm
Official & ***** Member

In FED, stick a fork in him -- he's done.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
In FED, stick a fork in him -- he's done.
I don't think this is correct, but I need to go home and check my rule/case book.

But I remember reading and discussing that an Unsportsmanlike and a 15 yard Sideline interference do not combine to disqualify the coach in Fed rules. I think you need two of the same kind, two sideline interference or two US to disqualify. When I find the wording I am looking for in the books I'll post the quotes.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 04:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC View Post
Line judge contacts team A's head coach in the restricted area during a live ball. Flag is thrown, 15 yard penalty against the head coach.

He then argues the call to the point that the R flags him for UC.

Is he disqualified?
No.

It takes a second sideline interference of this type to disqualify a head coach or a second UNS to do the same. One of each doesn't add up to two in this case.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No.

It takes a second sideline interference of this type to disqualify a head coach or a second UNS to do the same. One of each doesn't add up to two in this case.

Correct. The first flag is a personal foul. You would need a second personal foul for contact in the restricted area.

The USC is his first, so he would need a second USC to get run.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 05:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

If you run into an assistant in the restricted area, is that charged to the assistant or to the head coach?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 05:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If you run into an assistant in the restricted area, is that charged to the assistant or to the head coach?
Head coach. It's actually any non-player (it's a non-player foul, not a personal foul), not just coaches -- two of them and the head coach is disqualified. It's specifically written that way in 9-4-8 PENALTY.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Head coach. It's actually any non-player (it's a non-player foul, not a personal foul), not just coaches -- two of them and the head coach is disqualified. It's specifically written that way in 9-4-8 PENALTY.
It's actually both, a non-player, illegal personal contact penalty.

The referee signals personal foul (#38) and sideline interference (#29).

USC is a non-contact foul. So getting one of each does not result in ejection.

ILLEGAL PERSONAL CONTACT
9.4.8 SITUATION A: Third and five for A on B’s 30-yard line when B1 intercepts A1’s pass at B’s 15-yard line. B1 returns the interception along A’s sideline and is downed on A’s 40- yard line. During B1’s run the Head Linesman unintentionally runs into: (a) a cameraman between the restraining line and sideline at B’s 20-yard line; (b) A’s assistant coach in the restricted area at B’s 45-yard line; or (c) A’s head coach on the field of play at the 50-yard line.
RULING: No foul in (a), but the game administrator must ensure the area between the playing field and the restraining line is clear of all non-authorized personnel.In (b) and (c) A’s head coach is assessed a 15-yard non-player, illegal personal contact penalty at the succeeding spot.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It's actually both, a non-player, illegal personal contact penalty.

The referee signals personal foul (#38) and sideline interference (#29).

USC is a non-contact foul. So getting one of each does not result in ejection.

ILLEGAL PERSONAL CONTACT
9.4.8 SITUATION A: Third and five for A on B’s 30-yard line when B1 intercepts A1’s pass at B’s 15-yard line. B1 returns the interception along A’s sideline and is downed on A’s 40- yard line. During B1’s run the Head Linesman unintentionally runs into: (a) a cameraman between the restraining line and sideline at B’s 20-yard line; (b) A’s assistant coach in the restricted area at B’s 45-yard line; or (c) A’s head coach on the field of play at the 50-yard line.
RULING: No foul in (a), but the game administrator must ensure the area between the playing field and the restraining line is clear of all non-authorized personnel.In (b) and (c) A’s head coach is assessed a 15-yard non-player, illegal personal contact penalty at the succeeding spot.

A crew in our chapter had this type of play in a varsity game a few weeks ago. Where a local news paper photographer was on the sideline and got in the way of the L.J.. Needless to say the head coach wasn't very happy to get 15 due to a person not even affialiated with the program.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
A crew in our chapter had this type of play in a varsity game a few weeks ago. Where a local news paper photographer was on the sideline and got in the way of the L.J.. Needless to say the head coach wasn't very happy to get 15 due to a person not even affialiated with the program.
Not good but the coach is responsible for his sideline regardless. He better get game management to get the fool off the field.

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
As I read 9.4.8 (a), the head coach had every right to not be very happy as that shouldn't have been a foul.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 09:02am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
In light of the aforementioned case play, I can't see why this was enforced as such. I imagine some higher ups got a call or are going to get one.