The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle mechanics on an NFHS try

For our NFHS games, my crew (and some others in our association) use the mechanic that as soon as the kick is up on the try, the BJ blows the whistle. The logic is that, 4-2-2i states that the ball is dead when the kick scores, or when the kick cannot score (blocked, short, wide, etc.). Since it can prevent injuries or altercations to have a whistle sooner than later, we blow it as soon as it's kicked--it won't change the path of the ball but it could end some other extracurricular action.
Another crew member stated that this is technically an IW (partially true, it's not inadvertent), and should cause the down to be replayed. This likely won't change the mechanic that we use, but I was wondering if other crews or associations use this mechanic, or have even considered it.
This is also the only situation that I can think of where we choose to whistle quickly. Any other case, it's "hold it unless you're completely sure, and even then pause a moment".
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 03:15pm
Official & ***** Member

We do this as well, for the same reason.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 03:15pm
Chain of Fools

In my prior association, the HL blew the whistle as soon as the kick cleared the NZ on a try. (LJ always went back under the upright)

IIRC, the philosophy is nothing good can happen there at the LOS by waiting to blow the whistle on a try til it clears the goal or not.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Our crew has both wings coming in hard with a whistle once the ball is kicked. We feel the wings have a better view of the kicker than the U or BJ who are under the uprights.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

No, we don't do it. Don't see any advantage to it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
For our NFHS games, my crew (and some others in our association) use the mechanic that as soon as the kick is up on the try, the BJ blows the whistle. The logic is that, 4-2-2i states that the ball is dead when the kick scores, or when the kick cannot score (blocked, short, wide, etc.). Since it can prevent injuries or altercations to have a whistle sooner than later, we blow it as soon as it's kicked--it won't change the path of the ball but it could end some other extracurricular action.
Another crew member stated that this is technically an IW (partially true, it's not inadvertent), and should cause the down to be replayed. This likely won't change the mechanic that we use, but I was wondering if other crews or associations use this mechanic, or have even considered it.
This is also the only situation that I can think of where we choose to whistle quickly. Any other case, it's "hold it unless you're completely sure, and even then pause a moment".
We have one referee in our association who takes the whistle on extra points. As soon as the foot hits the ball, he blows the whistle. Hard for someone under the uprights to always tell whether the ball has been kicked or muffed, and since muffs can be advanced for two, he doesn't want anyone blowing the whistle but himself. I kind of like this mechanic. We had an umpire once blow his whistle before the ball was actually contacted by the foot. He missed the extra point, but we had to award a re-kick for the IW. Of course he made the next one.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

The only time the whistle causes the ball to become dead is when it is inadvertent. The whistle is used to acknowledge that the ball is dead in case anyone missed it, but the players are still responsible for knowing if the ball is alive or dead.

On our crew we have no whistle on PAT, but we have an R yelling, "kicks away, kicks away," followed by an U (BJ & L/LJ under post) saying, "plays over, plays over." If and only if someone's not responding to those voices, does the remaining wing have a whistle.

We use similar mechanics on scrimmage plays...its not a basketball court, we don't need 5 whistles a down, and aside from the one to declare the ball ready for play, we don't have to have any.

E.G. dive up the middle, runner with the ball on the ground and no officials can see the ball, so no officials should be blowing their whistle. B dives on the downed runner. Is he excused from the contact by a lack of whistle? I hope not.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wing blows the whistle as soon as the ball clears (or hits) the linemen. R also yells, "balls away".
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 11:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

As the ball is going through the uprights (or after) the BJ which is me blows the whistle. I see no other reason to do it any other way as we do not want other officials to get in the habit as they might blow the whistle in FG situation improperly. So we have only the BJ do this on my crew as it is an option for the BJ or Referee. Most do not want the Referee doing this anymore, but our state gives the option (Head clinician to my understanding liked doing this on his crew for some reason).

Peace
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 11:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I blow the whistle as the R on my crew.

It's not a big deal. I bet, though, we've had this conversation a dozen times in the past dozen years, though.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As the ball is going through the uprights (or after) the BJ which is me blows the whistle. I see no other reason to do it any other way as we do not want other officials to get in the habit as they might blow the whistle in FG situation improperly. So we have only the BJ do this on my crew as it is an option for the BJ or Referee. Most do not want the Referee doing this anymore, but our state gives the option (Head clinician to my understanding liked doing this on his crew for some reason).

Peace
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp
... Since it can prevent injuries or altercations to have a whistle sooner than later, we blow it as soon as it's kicked--it won't change the path of the ball but it could end some other extracurricular action.
I think having the U move in after the Kick and state " the kick is away" will address / prevent "other extracurricular action."
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
This is what we do.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for providing all of your different mechanics. Hearing the other philosophies, especially the reasons behind them, is helpful in understanding the game better. We do follow the "nothing good can happen" philosophy, and apply that to several other aspects of the game (e.g., pinching tight when coach has announced a kneel down).

I can see positives and negatives of the different timing mechanics, as well as the assignment of responsibility, for what to a lot of people is a trivial nuance of officiating. My crew has been working me as a BJ for the last month, and it's my responsibility whistle. After the snap, I wait to see the ball in flight over the linemen, but I spit it out if I see any indication that the play has become something that's not a kick.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
In Ohio, the umpire is to blow the whistle as soon as the ball is kicked on a try. The umpire is under the goal with the back judge.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 10:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
For our NFHS games, my crew (and some others in our association) use the mechanic that as soon as the kick is up on the try, the [R] blows the whistle. The logic is that, 4-2-2i states that the ball is dead when the kick scores, or when the kick cannot score (blocked, short, wide, etc.). Since it can prevent injuries or altercations to have a whistle sooner than later, we blow it as soon as it's kicked--it won't change the path of the ball but it could end some other extracurricular action.
This is the Canadian mechanic for the reason you outlined.

Common sense should prevail here.