The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

We are still working on the new 3-Whistle Mechanics implemented here in WA state.

Question:
Team A in their frontcourt. Trail, tableside has a foul in his area on A1. Now we are going the other way.
How do some of you do this...switch or no switch? (NFHS)
Does Trail stay tableside, at the spot of the foul, while Lead "long switches" down to new Lead postion?
If it is a bonus FT for Team B...does Trail stay tableside and Lead administers FT at the other end?
Or does old T go to new L and old L becomes new T?

I had a couple officials ask me about this...and wanted to make sure I told them the correct NFHS procedure.
One of the officials wanted the old C to become new L and administer the FT's and the old L take new C in Team B's Frontcourt. I advised him that is not how we pregame this situation.
Comments?
Richland, WA
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Since we have yet to receive any instruction from the NFHS, this is what we do.

If we're not shooting- The T reports and moves to the new L.

If we are shooting- The C moves to the new L and the old L moves to C. The T stays T.

That's just the way we do it, as all we've been told is that the calling official stays tableside. But I think it's better than the L making the long switch and we satify the tableside requirement.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Word for word from IHSA.org website in IL.

In addressing the Long Switch mechanic with 3-person crews, there has been some discussion concerning whether or not a switch should occur when a foul is called in a teamÂ’s front-court, there will be no free throws shot, and the subsequent play is going the other way. While officials realize that this year the calling official is to go table side after making his/her call, in any situation where a foul is called, no free throws will be shot, and the play will be going the other way, no long switch needs to occur by the officials in a contest. In the play being described, the calling official simply needs to clear the action on the floor, get to the reporting area and call the foul, and then return to his/her position for the subsequent throw-in. All officials are strongly encourage to review the 3-person mechanics PowerPoint presentation on the IHSA OfficialsÂ’ Center. Not only is it a great review, but it contains this exact play, and would be a benefit for all officials to review.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed - in IL we treat a foul in the backcourt with no free throws the same as a violation. If the T calls it, they become new L and the old L comes over and administers the throw-in. C stays C. If the L calls the foul, they come out enough for the table to see them report, and go back to the same spot for the throw-in. If C calls the foul, the old L comes over and "bumps" them to new L, and the old T becomes new C.

Usually these types of fouls tend to occur early in a game or half, and most coaches don't need their hand held (oops, I mean talked to) until later in the game. Since the tableside mechanic is for communication purpopses, there's usually no need to do any communicating for these. But like always, pre-game this. If you still need to talk to the coach, let your partners know, and they will fill in the empty spot. I've seen a couple of switches where all three partners changed positions because of one wanting to be in front of a coach when he wasn't supposed to be, or to get away from a coach in a volitile situation.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I've always been told no long swithes in HS... and they have been written out of CCA. (to my knowledge)
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Usually these types of fouls tend to occur early in a game or half, and most coaches don't need their hand held (oops, I mean talked to) until later in the game.
Say what?

Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. These types of fouls can and do happen anytime during a game. No type of foul is limited to any time during the game, except strategic fouling at the end to stop the clock.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

If we are shooting- The C moves to the new L and the old L moves to C. The T stays T.

That's just the way we do it, as all we've been told is that the calling official stays tableside. But I think it's better than the L making the long switch and we satify the tableside requirement.
Thanks BBR and others...
I researched it further after I asked the question.
On our website it shows a power point instruction for the old tableside T to report and move to the new tableside L. (Just as stated above)
But, it doesn't say anything about shooting FT's.

Tony, I think your switch for the FT's probably looks better...and if I remember right you usually officiate with the same crew...but, to cut down on confusion I think NFHS will want us to stay with the same mechanic even for the FT's.
Just a guess.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Thanks BBR and others...
On our website it shows a power point instruction for the old tableside T to report and move to the new tableside L. (Just as stated above)

Tony, I think your switch for the FT's probably looks better...and if I remember right you usually officiate with the same crew...but, to cut down on confusion I think NFHS will want us to stay with the same mechanic even for the FT's.
Just a guess.
Possibly but the whole purpose of sending the calling official tableside is so that he can communicate with the coaches. he can't do that if he's administering the FTs.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Thanks BBR and others...

Just a guess.
Possibly but the whole purpose of sending the calling official tableside is so that he can communicate with the coaches. he can't do that if he's administering the FTs.
True!

And that's why I'm baffled at the reasoning behind WA having the L, OPPOSITE TABLE, on a foul going the other way...doing a "V-back" back to their original spot opposite table????
I guess they are sacrificing the communication thing for aesthetics.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Jan 23, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Usually these types of fouls tend to occur early in a game or half, and most coaches don't need their hand held (oops, I mean talked to) until later in the game.
Say what?

Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. These types of fouls can and do happen anytime during a game. No type of foul is limited to any time during the game, except strategic fouling at the end to stop the clock.
You're right about the type of foul happening at any point in the game. I guess what I was referring to was a common foul where there are no free throws - prior to the 7th - and the ball is taken out of bounds. Usually those happen early in a game or half, and coaches (usually?) don't start getting too excited until later.