The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

BTW, I've seen the white hat on these replacement crews use the stop clock mechanic on touchbacks more than once this season.

When I saw the BJ use the stop clock mechanic last night, it communicated change of possession to me.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not saying that. I'm saying I don't know what the other official had, and don't see how anyone does.
And, that is the issue I have with the way the play was managed by the two covering officials.

They clearly looked at each other before either gave a signal. I wish a reverse camera angle were available for us to see if they said anything to each other in that brief moment. Anything at all would have been good..."I have a touchdown, what do you have?" Instead, they gave two different signals which only invites confusion and opens the crew up to even more criticism.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've seen guys stop the clock before a TB signal. Can't recall if it's NFL or NCAA.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Anything at all would have been good..."I have a touchdown, what do you have?" Instead, they gave two different signals which only invites confusion and opens the crew up to even more criticism.
I believe he said, "I have a touchdown, you call it dead," and the other guy said, "Ok."

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Had the officials called it a touchback on the field immediately, there'd be *nobody* talking about this play right now.
Without getting into a long argument on that...I totally disagree. OK, one point to make...not saying the call was correct, but since when do officials make a call based on what is going to cause less "water cooler" discussions?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Doesn't help things that Mike Periera was out in the Sierra Mountains last night. You'd think he and his wife would have made that trip before or after football season. He was out to dinner last night for the end of the Sunday Night Football game, too.
How irresponsible of him to try and enjoy his retirement
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I have seen the "stop the clock" signal used before the TB signal on TBs before...I must admit, I'm not sure how the regular officials do it, or what the correct NFL mechanic is, but I have seen it. I have never seen 'time out' before someone the signaled TD. With the two officials giving different signals, it is pretty obvious they had different calls (either that or the deep wing had a TD and the BJ wanted to talk about the call before making it). It looks really really bad to have the two signals, but it does not make the call wrong. I just means they need to at least get on the same page before someone goes up with a signal. As we used to say on our crew, touchdowns are forever.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
Without getting into a long argument on that...I totally disagree. OK, one point to make...not saying the call was correct, but since when do officials make a call based on what is going to cause less "water cooler" discussions?
I don't think that was the point, I think that if they both went up with the same call, it would have been less of a talking point...I don't really agree, I think that even if the regulars called this it would be a huge discussion point today.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Jerry Markbreit is on WSCR Chicago right now; calls it an "obvious interception." No real deep analysis of the play, though. :-)
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
I have seen the "stop the clock" signal used before the TB signal on TBs before...I must admit, I'm not sure how the regular officials do it, or what the correct NFL mechanic is, but I have seen it. I have never seen 'time out' before someone the signaled TD. With the two officials giving different signals, it is pretty obvious they had different calls (either that or the deep wing had a TD and the BJ wanted to talk about the call before making it). It looks really really bad to have the two signals, but it does not make the call wrong. I just means they need to at least get on the same page before someone goes up with a signal. As we used to say on our crew, touchdowns are forever.
This was the impression I had watching the replay.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This was the impression I had watching the replay.
Agreed, I thought that he was anticipating a huddle.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

No NFL official is signaling time-out before he signals a touchdown. It's time-out and touchback or touchdown.

Besides the clear and obvious OPI, IMO, that's an interception and touchback...the DB gains control of the ball first and subsequently the WR.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 11:09am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
No NFL official is signaling time-out before he signals a touchdown. It's time-out and touchback or touchdown.

Besides the clear and obvious OPI, IMO, that's an interception and touchback...the DB gains control of the ball first and subsequently the WR.
On the OPI, I agree.

On the catch, I'm just not so sure. It looks like Tate has his hand in there from the moment the ball arrives. As crowder noted, there's no distinction with SP on who has better possession.

I'm not positive either way on this, but if the flag is down, it doesn't matter.

Is OPI loss of down in the NFL?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I believe he said, "I have a touchdown, you call it dead," and the other guy said, "Ok."
Fair enough. If that is true, then it answers my question. Nonetheless, two different signals still "looks" bad and invites *unecessary* criticism of the crew, imo.

Yes, they will still get criticized for the call, however, if both officials signal TD, there is less confusion and just looks better. Shows the crew is effectively communicating in pressure situations. That (at some level) counts for something in my book. Maybe it doesn't matter to anyone else. And that's ok, I guess.

Last edited by DLH17; Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 11:21am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I do. I think the call was horrid. Had the officials called it a touchback on the field immediately, there'd be *nobody* talking about this play right now.
If GB bats the ball down to the ground or OOB instead of trying to catch the ball, more than likely same would be true.... Nobody would be talking about this right now.