The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Touching+4th Down+IW=???

4th down. A throws ball which is caught behind the line of scrimmage by ineligible A. Flags fly, an inadvertent whistle sounds and the ball is blown dead behind the line to gain. If I read it correctly, I think 4.2D applies here. I wasn't at the game but I think the ball was given to B at the spot of the foul for a 1/10 for B. Not sure that was quite the right thing to do. Should the aspect of the IW be ignored and march off the penalty plus LOD? Thanks for your input.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 02:06pm
Medium Kahuna

The accepted penalty for illegal touching negates the IW. 5 yard penalty from the spot of the foul plus loss of down. 1/10 for B after enforcement, clock on the snap.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 02:09pm
Official & ***** Member

The IW is ignored if there's an accepted penalty. The basic spot for penalty enforcement is the end of the run, which will be the IW spot in this case. If the IT happened behind that spot (very likely), the 5-yard penalty is from the spot of the foul.

In FED, this foul also carries a loss of down, so it will be B's ball after enforcement.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 02:51pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
The basic spot for penalty enforcement is the end of the run, which will be the IW spot in this case.
You mean previous spot, right? The IT occurred during a loose ball play, since the touching preceded the catch.

Like you, I was inferring from the fact that the catch was behind the NZ that the enforcement spot would be the spot of the foul.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 08:43pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
You mean previous spot, right? The IT occurred during a loose ball play, since the touching preceded the catch.

Like you, I was inferring from the fact that the catch was behind the NZ that the enforcement spot would be the spot of the foul.
Yep -- cranial flatulence. I was concentrating on the IW enforcement.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Since the OP said that the ineligible caught the ball behind the LOS, this is the spot of the foul, which is behind the basic spot (previous spot for loose ball play). Therefore 5 yards from spot of foul, loss of down. Right?