The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
The NFL doesn't have a LOD for OPI. From what I suspect, neither does the NCAA. And neither do all codes of Canadian football. Maybe, just maybe, the Fed is the odd man out.
They are, but that doesn't make them wrong. NCAA got rid of the LOD for OPI in the 1980s IIRC. NFL I don't remember -- might've gotten rid of it about 15 yrs. earlier or maybe went straight from loss of ball to the distance penalty with no LOD. I believe it was loss of ball in Canadian football until some time in the 1960s, as with other loose ball interference.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 05:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
They are, but that doesn't make them wrong. NCAA got rid of the LOD for OPI in the 1980s IIRC. NFL I don't remember -- might've gotten rid of it about 15 yrs. earlier or maybe went straight from loss of ball to the distance penalty with no LOD. I believe it was loss of ball in Canadian football until some time in the 1960s, as with other loose ball interference.
So for 50+ years, the Fed hasn't believed that removing the LOD is a good thing. Good for them for sticking to their guns!
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So for 50+ years, the Fed hasn't believed that removing the LOD is a good thing. Good for them for sticking to their guns!
Meanwhile NCAA has gone back & forth on the enforcement spot against the defense. I don't remember what it was at first, but it was either, or soon became, from the previous spot. Then it was changed to spot of the foul. Then back to previous spot. Fed inherited the penalty from the first time it was previous spot, and kept it.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is a different game. I honestly hope you are not using what Canada does as any gauge for what goes on in the US? Considering that there are a few hundred rules differences already, not seeing the big deal if they keep their rules unique. NCAA and the NFL has an entertainment value to them that the NF games are not supposed to have. If the NF changed the rule I would think it was a mistake, but then again it is not that big of a deal.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 07:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is a different game. I honestly hope you are not using what Canada does as any gauge for what goes on in the US? Considering that there are a few hundred rules differences already, not seeing the big deal if they keep their rules unique. NCAA and the NFL has an entertainment value to them that the NF games are not supposed to have. If the NF changed the rule I would think it was a mistake, but then again it is not that big of a deal.

Peace
The offense takes it in the shorts in so many ways when they commit fouls in NFHS football that it would surprise me if they did change this.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The offense takes it in the shorts in so many ways when they commit fouls in NFHS football that it would surprise me if they did change this.
If they change this, it is not a tragedy at all. I could live with it and this is hardly a big deal. But to say that other levels do something is not the reason this will be changed. If that is the case the NF has a lot of rules to change because most of their rules do not reflect applications from other states and I do not see many rules changing anytime soon.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

I think the penalty in FED should be loss of down and loss of first-born child. The offense gets off too easily here.