The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

No game

Yesterday we had a situation where a crew showed up for a sub-varsity game and there was no game and no prior notification of the officials.

Does your association have an agreement with schools to provide at least partial remuneration for the officials? Do some schools do this as a normal procedure?
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Yesterday we had a situation where a crew showed up for a sub-varsity game and there was no game and no prior notification of the officials.

Does your association have an agreement with schools to provide at least partial remuneration for the officials? Do some schools do this as a normal procedure?
The last time I showed up for a game that wasn't happening, I received the full game fee and an apology from the AD. I don't know if that's policy or just a good AD.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 07:35am
Official & ***** Member

Our policy is for the R to call the home team on the day of the game. If they say they're playing and then cancel w/o notifying our assignor, it's a full fee plus travel.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Our policy is for the R to call the home team on the day of the game. If they say they're playing and then cancel w/o notifying our assignor, it's a full fee plus travel.
For SubV?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

We get paid. Every time this has happened but one, the school paid us. The other time, they notified the scheduler and he screwed up - so HE paid us.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
This happened to me only twice in 15 years. Both times we were paid in full.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 01:11pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
For SubV?
Especially for SubV. They're the ones who are most likely to cancel/change a game without thinking of notifying the officials.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Especially for SubV. They're the ones who are most likely to cancel/change a game without thinking of notifying the officials.
Wow. In my experience in Texas, it's extremely rare to even know which one of us is going to end up being the referee on a subvarsity game before we all show up - that's usually decided when we get there. Much less have one of the officials call the school on it.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 02:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Wow. In my experience in Texas, it's extremely rare to even know which one of us is going to end up being the referee on a subvarsity game before we all show up - that's usually decided when we get there. Much less have one of the officials call the school on it.
Some assignments are like that here, many are done by crew -- I always get subvarsity assignments for my crew so that we can cross-train each other and work on things together -- especially at the white hat position.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 03:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post

I believe we get paid 100% in this case. If they cancel or postpone the day of, we get 50%.

It's rare though. Maaaybe once every couple of years it happens.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is one area where online scheduling helps. In the past, pencil, paper, and even Excel, were prone to errors. Assignors and officials both writing down the wrong date. Heck, that happened to me last year (show extremely embarrassed red face here) when I heard "8th grade" while getting my schedule and wrongly assumed it was on a Tuesday. Online, officials "accept" the assignment and are on better notice of when and where it is. Coaches and ADs are supposed to check their game assignment list.

I've only had this happen a couple of times in both football and basketball (30+ seasons combined with both sports). What has happened more often is that we get to the site and find out there is only 1 more or less game than we expected.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I have had several games cancelled over the years and have never been paid a dime. We are considered independent contractors by the state. It is the OHSAA policy that if an official fails to show up for a game and if the school reports him/her the state will fine the official. However if the game is cancelled even though we have a contract for the game we will not get any help at all from the state.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
I have had several games cancelled over the years and have never been paid a dime. We are considered independent contractors by the state. It is the OHSAA policy that if an official fails to show up for a game and if the school reports him/her the state will fine the official. However if the game is cancelled even though we have a contract for the game we will not get any help at all from the state.
In other words, the contact really isn't a contract. It's a one-way document. Same thing in my area.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:27am
Chain of Fools

NCHSAA policy-

Officiating Fees for Postponed Games
One‐half fee for the game involved, as shown on the assignment slip, is to be paid each official in any athletic contest which is postponed after an official leaves for the contest. Once the game is under way and for any reason is called off, officials shall be paid the full amount. If the school neglects to advise the officials or booking agent of a postponed contest, a full game fee will be paid.

I've only worked football at the HS level and I've never had a game cancelled on me in such a manner that there was little or no notice. Did have one playoff game postponed to the following day due to snow/icy roads and one JV game suspended at halftime due to lightening which was completed the Saturday morning following. I had to pay my sub half fee as I couldn't make it for the completion.

I hear its a nightmare for the baseball/softball guys.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Is that because the game is cancelled or the manner in which it is cancelled? What I mean is it would be customary if we show up and while doing our duty we are paid something. If we are told before we get to the site then we did not fulfill the contract. Same as if we do not show up to a game that we have no contract for.

What happens around here is it really up to the official to fight for their money and that is where the problem lies around here. Many schools will do the right thing here, but many will hold onto $10 if it makes them happy.

Peace