The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I wonder how much high-level football you really see. R's players (at least around here) are usually among the best athletes on the team.
I meant the ones lined up close to the neutral zone.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2012, 01:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
And those are the ones I would be most concerned about. Yes contact might take place after the return, but I have yet to see an official if positioned properly that cannot tell if the ball was across the GL. Unlike college the ball is dead when it crosses the GL. To rule on that is an easy call to make. The players in that first wave often do other things that need attention that is why I would not like that change at all from having been in both positions on the field. If they changed, oh well. I am sure my crew would discuss the coverage and what is more important to observe. We did that already and covered the game just fine.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 11:18am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
I can't think of the last time I enforced a holding call against an R player near the NZ on a kickoff return. It just doesn't happen around here. The fouls we typically see on KOs happen just before or just after the return man receives the ball.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And those are the ones I would be most concerned about. Yes contact might take place after the return, but I have yet to see an official if positioned properly that cannot tell if the ball was across the GL. Unlike college the ball is dead when it crosses the GL. To rule on that is an easy call to make. The players in that first wave often do other things that need attention that is why I would not like that change at all from having been in both positions on the field. If they changed, oh well. I am sure my crew would discuss the coverage and what is more important to observe. We did that already and covered the game just fine.

Peace
Except I don't really care about the coverage on the GL -- it's the fact that an L or U *must* turn his head if the ball threatens the sideline behind him or the pylon that bothers me -- it essentially takes an official completely out of the play and takes him away from watching players even near to him.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Except I don't really care about the coverage on the GL -- it's the fact that an L or U *must* turn his head if the ball threatens the sideline behind him or the pylon that bothers me -- it essentially takes an official completely out of the play and takes him away from watching players even near to him.
I guess it depends on how you are taught and what the focus of the crew is. We often had the U at the GL when needed based on the kicker's ability. So it is not totally uncommon early to have two officials on the GL which I feel is more than enough in a 5 Man mechanic. Then the L is further down field as the BJ is on his side and he is around the 30 or deeper.

And maybe I am missing something, but you suggested that the BJ and the LJ would take the ball closer to the neutral zone on shorter kicks and get down field. If that is wrong please let me know, but I would think that would be a mistake as they usually see the first wave and all the wedge breaking that takes place often. I just know that this area is where cheap shots and head hunting takes place. I just do not want to take forward progress until the ball gets to us or follow the ball when blocks a players with a brick are going to be our main concern in that part of the field. If this was college I would agree with that mechanic a little more.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess it depends on how you are taught and what the focus of the crew is. We often had the U at the GL when needed based on the kicker's ability. So it is not totally uncommon early to have two officials on the GL which I feel is more than enough in a 5 Man mechanic. Then the L is further down field as the BJ is on his side and he is around the 30 or deeper.

And maybe I am missing something, but you suggested that the BJ and the LJ would take the ball closer to the neutral zone on shorter kicks and get down field. If that is wrong please let me know, but I would think that would be a mistake as they usually see the first wave and all the wedge breaking that takes place often. I just know that this area is where cheap shots and head hunting takes place. I just do not want to take forward progress until the ball gets to us or follow the ball when blocks a players with a brick are going to be our main concern in that part of the field. If this was college I would agree with that mechanic a little more.

Peace
No, I would have the L/U/R (whichever makes sense) take progress -- it means that the L/U/R will have to be mobile enough to trail the runner.

I think this comes full circle to the OP, though. With the new rules in place on running starts and blocking, I'd be happy putting 3 officials at the 40/50 and moving the R out to one of the pylons with the U on the other.

Let's face it, with 5 officials we're never going to have ideal KO coverage.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That is true.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why not analyze this issue in terms of what's likely to be missed, how often, and how severe the consequences? Seems to me the chance of missing a touchback that should've been called when someone reaches over the plane of the goal line for the ball so it can't be seen except by an official whose eye is in that plane whether the ball broke that plane is pretty small compared to calls that might be missed elsewhere on the field. The consequences in the touchback case might be substantial, but I don't know that they'd be greater on avg. than the consequences of other blown calls on a kickoff.
I have to agree with this sentiment. For the most part, one R standing on the goal line can pivot and clearly see if the ball crosses. One situation that threatens is the "catch and carry" into the end zone, and I'm sure there are others that can be. But taking one of your four remaining downfield officials and putting him on the goal line for this rather rare situation (which can still be remedied by a quick-witted R) asks for problems elsewhere.
As a chronic LJ/BJ, I would much rather have the help downfield. But, I trust my R to make a solid call and be able to cover that line. YMMV.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 11:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
I have to agree with this sentiment. For the most part, one R standing on the goal line can pivot and clearly see if the ball crosses. One situation that threatens is the "catch and carry" into the end zone, and I'm sure there are others that can be. But taking one of your four remaining downfield officials and putting him on the goal line for this rather rare situation (which can still be remedied by a quick-witted R) asks for problems elsewhere.
As a chronic LJ/BJ, I would much rather have the help downfield. But, I trust my R to make a solid call and be able to cover that line. YMMV.
Again, my reason for wanting the officials deep has *nothing* to do with the ball threatening the goal line. No reason to rehash those posts, though, they're still in this thread.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Again, my reason for wanting the officials deep has *nothing* to do with the ball threatening the goal line. No reason to rehash those posts, though, they're still in this thread.
I do get where you are coming from, but I just do not agree that is the best way to cover the field. We just disagree that is all and I think you put a lot of pressure on officials unnecessarily IMO. As I said before, if the change it I will adjusts. I just hope it is not a mandate but a suggestion.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I would have the L/U/R (whichever makes sense) take progress -- it means that the L/U/R will have to be mobile enough to trail the runner.

I think this comes full circle to the OP, though. With the new rules in place on running starts and blocking, I'd be happy putting 3 officials at the 40/50 and moving the R out to one of the pylons with the U on the other.

We've been doing it that way for years now. R & U at the pylons, L at K, H at R, BJ in the middle behind K. R & U have progress up to the 30.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 11:53am
Chain of Fools

We do it almost the same way as you Mike but flip the BJ and the U. The BJ is up around the G to the 5 yl. Not many HS kickers here in the mountains threaten the EZ unless they get a good roll.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 08:01pm
Chain of Fools

reported
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 08:48pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
reported
Thanks! I've made some changes that have cut down on the spam quite a bit — looking at some long term solutions and working on getting info together for those that have volunteered to moderate (if anyone is interested, email me at [email protected])

Don't feel that you have to post "Reported" in the thread if you don't want to ... if multiple people report it, it's not a big deal. Either way is fine.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Not many HS kickers here in the mountains threaten the EZ unless they get a good roll.
Of course. It's hard to get much distance kicking up a steep slope, and going down it, it's hard to get under it, while on a side slope it's hard to hit it at all.