The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

One of the things I am struggling with this year (only my second year) is coach management. In four games I have done at the JV level, I have thrown 2 flags for unsportsmanlike conduct by a coach. Once I was R, and once I was LM. Below is the game situation and I wonder if I was justified.

Before you read, I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions for dealing with coaches who are questioning calls or demandings that something be watched.

JV game last night with 4 man crew. Up until the 4th quarter of a close game, the head coach of the losing team was demanding that calls be made all night. I am the wingman on his side and was very polite in hearing his concerns. One of the things he had been harping on all night was clipping.

The the 4th Quarter is winding down with 2:30 left to go. (On my side, I am having to deal with the coach who is losing). The team winning is forced to punt on 4th down. On the punt, I watched as R1 clipped K1 on the return (and it was a long return). Coach for R1 was livid about the call saying "the other play just fell down and my guy ran into his back. That't not clipping." The penalty was administered and R1 took over for their series. After that call, that coach was standing right behind me talking about the call during the timeout for change of possession, and during the next two plays. I finally said, "Coach, I don't want to hear any more buzzing in my ear about that call!". His reply was "I was talking to one of my players".

After his team fumbled the ball on third down and the other team picked it up for a touchdown, the winning team called a timeout before the extra point. When the coach walked out onto the field, I was discussing the situation above with the ref so I knew how much I should take from the coach with the Referee (probably should have waited until after the game). As he is waling to his team, he yells "I was talking to my players". As he is walking off the field he yells, "that's terrible!!!" That's when I flagged him for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. His response, "I still get one more before I'm gone."

My opinion is that the field is mine. Don't come onto the field and express your dissatisfaction with my officiating and I won't go over to the sideline and express dissatisfaction with your coaching.

As an official, was this a necessary flag? Where do you as officials draw the line?

How would you have handled the situation?
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I think you did the right thing if the coach had been on you all night then yes, but I do agree you should have discussed the situation after the ballgame was over because you know the coach is upset that his team is losing.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with smoke but if the guy is harping on you all night, then get him off early. Then, he knows he's only got one more left for the rest of the game.

And if he's talking to his players and he's talking about me, then everyone in the stadium shouldn't be able to hear it.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Why is a 2nd year official wearing the white hat in the first place?

Anyway - try not to take the coach's comments personally. Turn a deaf ear as much as possible. If he's being loud enough for everyone in the stadium to hear him then stick him. But if you and he are the only ones who can hear it let it go.

------------------
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy_Driver:
[B]Why is a 2nd year official wearing the white hat in the first place?

In the game in question, I was LJ. However, in the game where I was the white hat, there were only three of us for the game and the other two guys had less experience than I did. Sometimes, it is difficult to find referees for games in this area!

Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink

Why not? That is how they learn that position and how they understand the rules better. If it was not a Varsity game, I see no problem with that, as long as that person can handle themselves.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andy_Driver:
[B]Why is a 2nd year official wearing the white hat in the first place?

Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Hey - I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I guess if you're short of officials you do the best you can. In my area, however, I guess we have enough officials that inexperienced guys don't wear the white hat.

------------------
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Smile

Understand this, it comes with time. You just do not allow a coach to question your integrity, get personal with you or call you out of your name. Other than that, you try your best to listen and not talk and when the coach is finished you say OK and walk away and move on. This can be hard to do, but it can be done. Also if they ask you a question explain it the best way you know how. That is why your rules knowledge and study are important. If you are a wing you are going to have to explain many calls that you did not see. The more knowledge you have, the more confident you will appear, the less the coach(in most cases) will stay off your back and your partners. It just takes time. But if you do others sports it might take you a shorter time. I do 4 all together and I use things from each sport and bring them to football. All it is is handling people and knowing what to say and what not to. That is all!!!

quote:
Originally posted by mikesears:
One of the things I am struggling with this year (only my second year) is coach management. In four games I have done at the JV level, I have thrown 2 flags for unsportsmanlike conduct by a coach. Once I was R, and once I was LM. Below is the game situation and I wonder if I was justified.

Before you read, I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions for dealing with coaches who are questioning calls or demandings that something be watched.

JV game last night with 4 man crew. Up until the 4th quarter of a close game, the head coach of the losing team was demanding that calls be made all night. I am the wingman on his side and was very polite in hearing his concerns. One of the things he had been harping on all night was clipping.

The the 4th Quarter is winding down with 2:30 left to go. (On my side, I am having to deal with the coach who is losing). The team winning is forced to punt on 4th down. On the punt, I watched as R1 clipped K1 on the return (and it was a long return). Coach for R1 was livid about the call saying "the other play just fell down and my guy ran into his back. That't not clipping." The penalty was administered and R1 took over for their series. After that call, that coach was standing right behind me talking about the call during the timeout for change of possession, and during the next two plays. I finally said, "Coach, I don't want to hear any more buzzing in my ear about that call!". His reply was "I was talking to one of my players".

After his team fumbled the ball on third down and the other team picked it up for a touchdown, the winning team called a timeout before the extra point. When the coach walked out onto the field, I was discussing the situation above with the ref so I knew how much I should take from the coach with the Referee (probably should have waited until after the game). As he is waling to his team, he yells "I was talking to my players". As he is walking off the field he yells, "that's terrible!!!" That's when I flagged him for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. His response, "I still get one more before I'm gone."

My opinion is that the field is mine. Don't come onto the field and express your dissatisfaction with my officiating and I won't go over to the sideline and express dissatisfaction with your coaching.

As an official, was this a necessary flag? Where do you as officials draw the line?

How would you have handled the situation?

Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

If there is a shortage or not, if they want to be the R in the game, experienced officials should let them. How else are they going to get better and learn that position. Actually the R is one of the easiest positions on the field. You just have to be confident, because 9 times out of 10 you are going to take the heat for the screw up. If a young official wants to do it, I let them, why not? At the lower levels you can still help them and tell them the enforcements, but it helps them understand the rules and enforcements better. If you just do the wings and the middle positions like U and BJ, you may not call very much but holding and PI. Even on the wings you do not call very much. But in the R, you have to administer all fouls and deterimine if they are live ball, dead ball fouls. Basic spot, previous spot fouls. When to put the ball ready for play. It is alot like basketball, there is nothing in the game you are not involved in, why not let them do it?

quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Driver:
Hey - I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I guess if you're short of officials you do the best you can. In my area, however, I guess we have enough officials that inexperienced guys don't wear the white hat.

Old Tue Oct 10, 2000, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Ok, We all know it is part of the business. Firstly, have no rabbit ears, whatever he says to his players is his business. One thing I do, I have been a linesman for 8 years, is calmy hold out your hand as if to say "stop" and tell him that is enough. Restrict him to his box, coaches hate that because most officials do not enforce that rule heavily. Take some verbal abuse. But draw the line at profanity and character abuse. You will hear "that's terrible" alot in the next few years. Good Luck
Old Fri Oct 13, 2000, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

How Much Crap Do You Take?

There's some great advice given on this subject. At eReferee.com, we have an excellent article written by Lee Jones (look in the football section)entitled "Communicating With Coaches." It gives some general guidelines, but the only way you'll come to know how much to take is to work as many games as you can with as many experienced officials as possible so you can learn this for yourself. It's a little different for all of us. I would advise you that the words, "That's terrible," are a long way short of, "You're terrible." However, given the circumstances as you described them, your flag was appropriate. You might have been better served to have thrown it in the first quarter when he first started getting on you than to wait until the game is decided and he has nothing to lose by getting the flag. All you walked off was half the distance on a point-after. He didn't learn a thing. Did you?
Old Fri Oct 13, 2000, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I've learned a great deal this year! This forum has been EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks to everyone for you input!

Old Tue Oct 17, 2000, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Think you handled it correctly. I tend to let coaches vent as long as they don't get personal or question your integrity. Some coaches just like to jaw when they feel they have been wronged. Remember their job is to win. They want every call to go their way.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2000, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bbsbfbump
Thumbs up

Hey, I think it is wonderful that you what to do the white hat. I am in my 2nd year of doing football, and I know that I didn't what to do the white hat this year cause I was not ready. If you are ready in your 2nd year go for it.

Secondly, as every official knows you don't and can't see everything or hear everything. I have to agree that you have to listen to a little bit of crap from the coach but that comes with the area of "work." Also you can just warn them first, then box, then flag.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2000, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think you handled the situation well. One of the things I like to do is ask the coach if he would like to repeat what he just said. He will respond in one of two ways: 1)He'll then say that he was just talking to his team. or 2)He'll repeat it, at this time you would flag him if necessary. Coaches will say a lot of things before they think, this gives them the opportunity to think about what he is saying and if it is directed at you. Also remember, take as much as you can from a coach. He is feeding his family with his W/L record. You are out there for the enjoyment of being involved in the game.