View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up

If there is a shortage or not, if they want to be the R in the game, experienced officials should let them. How else are they going to get better and learn that position. Actually the R is one of the easiest positions on the field. You just have to be confident, because 9 times out of 10 you are going to take the heat for the screw up. If a young official wants to do it, I let them, why not? At the lower levels you can still help them and tell them the enforcements, but it helps them understand the rules and enforcements better. If you just do the wings and the middle positions like U and BJ, you may not call very much but holding and PI. Even on the wings you do not call very much. But in the R, you have to administer all fouls and deterimine if they are live ball, dead ball fouls. Basic spot, previous spot fouls. When to put the ball ready for play. It is alot like basketball, there is nothing in the game you are not involved in, why not let them do it?

quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Driver:
Hey - I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I guess if you're short of officials you do the best you can. In my area, however, I guess we have enough officials that inexperienced guys don't wear the white hat.