The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Does Anyone have a specific workout regiment to get ready for the upcoming football season?
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sprints?

Running and some upper body weights when I can get to the gym. I'm going to add some sprints so that I'm better tuned for any downfield bursts that I need from the flanks.

If you're an Umpire, you should immediately start to stock up on Twinkies and Snickers at WalMart when they're on sale so you have plenty for the season!
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Yeah, the shelf life is long on those...

But seriously, I found that you can get more bang for your exercise buck by doing step classes: not only do they elevate your heart rate for an extended period of time, but its a great way to master your footwork and concentration. At our YMCA, we step for about 45 minutes and then do light toning with weights and then stomach exercises.

Plus the ladies are easy on the eyes... (but don't look too much or you will fall over the step...)...

By the way, the best way to train your heart is to take 220 minus your age and then multiply by 75% and 85%. You want to maintain your heart rate between those results for around 45 minutes or so at least 3 times per week. I use a Polar brand heart monitor so I can check my heart rate without stopping my exercise and finding my pulse and counting.

I do spinning twice a week, step once a week, and then a cardio machine plus light weights/lunges/knee-bends/push-ups/sit-ups twice weekly.
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I am using an eliptical machine for 25 minutes and a bike for 25 minutes with weights (alternate lower body and upper body each day) during the week. I walk 3 miles a night and do some yoga to stretch. Once July hits, I'll start doing wind sprints instead of walking. I also read part of the rule book every night to keep the mush between my ears in shape.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of rules.....

What works best for you guys when studying the rules? Is it the actual rule book? Is it some of the Rom Gilbert tests and explanations on the web?

What tips does everyone have regarding their most effective techniques for studying (and remembering) the rules?

Thanks, fellas!
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I need to try Yoga...

I have heard that Yoga is one of the best ways to tone and stretch... Do you know what the different forms are and which one is the best for a beginner like me? Don't forget, I'm the classic umpire shape which presents a challenge for yoga-like activities...

The classic elyptical machine is wonderful... Exercises your heart and legs without all the impact of jogging on a hard surface. I started using the one with the arm handles that move back and forth with some resistence. Plus some of those machines have the heart rate monitors built in... I do the same as you: 20, 25, or 30 minutes on those machines about once or twice a week (in between spin and step days...)...

Plus good old fashioned walking is great for the body and the mind. I try to get out once a week for an hour long walk. Thats a good time to contemplate the rules and visualize plays unfolding and proper mechanics, etc.

Oh yeah, every Sunday I've been doing yard work on my parent's property. Trimming these pine trees, weed whacking, carrying yard clippings to a big composting pit, and watering have been very therapeutic for me.

I think the main benefit of any physical activity is the development of concentration and combining mental and physical disciplines so we can become better officials.
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Yeah, I need a new way to study the rules...

Good question J...

I downloaded and printed the 2002 NCAA rule book. Its so well-written and they combine the case book along with the rule book. Plus they put the penalty enforcement right in with each rule section/article so its easier to reference. I wish the NF would reformat their rule book in the same manner...

My summer project is to go through the case book and document in the margins the differences between NCAA and NF...

Plus, I am going to ask this referee in our association who does NF and some NCAA to work with me once a week on the rules. I think I get stale trying to read the rule book on my own...
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

My rules study consists of never taking an extended lavatory break at work without either the rule book or case book with me. A few pages at a time, study them, try to visualize them. Been doing this for about 5 years - always seem to find something new or something I may have overlooked.

I run three times a week with one long run, an interval run (slow half lap, fast full lap etc etc) and a speed run (as fast as I can for 1 mile and then two miles as the season approaches). I also lift three times per week as well with an emphasis on upper body. Hochuli-like is my goal, but a don't think I'll ever have enough time on my hands to be achieve his results.

Trying to watch the far left TV (out of a bank of five in front of the treadmills and recumbent bikes at the Y) with ESPN on it while on the treadmill without falling is my agility training. Try it - it's not easy.
Old Sat May 03, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks Gentlemen

Thank you very much gentlemen. I think that I put you have said into a prgram that I use. I am developing the Classic umpire shape, however I am a wing official.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

My wife and I found a beginner's yoga DVD. It has three workouts on it and we just do the one that works the best for us in the evening. I, too, have a classic umpire shape, eventhough I am currently working HL. When I grow up, I want to move to the meat grinder.

As far as rules study, I read chapter 2 (NCAA definitions) then another chapter. Then I go back to 2, then another chapter, and so on. It seems to help me that way. Once the new CCA test comes out, I will download it from Gilbert's site and use that to reinforce what I am studying. That seems to work the best for me. I also have two rules clinics and the state meeting I plan on attending this year. The clinics were a great way to understand interpretation and listen to questions and situations other officials had.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for rules study tips....

Mike, AB, Sleeper,

Thanks for your ideas on rules study. It's interesting to see how everyone goes about learning and reinforcing their rules knowledge.

Like you, AB, I learn something new every year that I thought I knew!

Mike, I've also printed the NCAA rule book complete with the ancillary information. Good stuff and in a bound, 2 page landscape format, there's plenty of room for margin notes and underlines.

I've been through the book once this year. My plan is to download some of last year's Gilbert stuff and take the tests with a buddy. We will complete them and then come together to debate/discuss the rules. I'm betting this will become invaluable in solidifying our rules knowledge.
Old Tue May 06, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just run, run, and run. Here in California, conditioning and appearance along with rules and mechanics determine if you get a lot of play-off assignments. Assigners don't like give play-off games to over-weighted officials.....Larry
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Larry, where have you been?

My workout year round is weights, weights, and aerobics.

For years I would either run or cycle for the preseason workout and still got sore early in the season.

By building my lower body using weights and a vigorous upper body workout combined with step aerobics and cycling last season was a breeze.

If you are using weights go for building additional muscle especially in the legs -- squats, leg extensions, leg curls, adduction and abduction. The building arms -- biceps and triceps -- chest and back gives strength for running. But don't forget the midsection. We do a lot of turning and reaching, therefore, you need strong muscle in the pelvic region.

Step aerobics are an excellent cardio workout and depending on the class can be a workout for the eyes watching the ladies.

Last I use cycling versus running to keep pressure off the shins.

BTW. For those who suffer from shin splints. Take the calf muscle and loosen it by taking your thumbs and pressing down the middle of the muscle from top to bottom. The reason for the splints is the tight calf muscle pulls the muscle from the front causing the excruciating soreness.
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up A combo class...

Hey Ed, I tried watching the ladies but I kept tripping over the darn step. The teacher almost banned me from the class!!!

I agree with you on the weight theory. Seems like weights are still the best workout for injury prevention.

I found a great class at the YMCA called stretch, tone and ab blaster. It uses basic step movements as you lift light weights. It sounds easy, but those 8 pound weights start to feel heavy as you are going up and down, up and over, leg-lifting on the bench doing a combination of overhead presses, upright rows, curls, etc. for about half an hour. We finish it off with lots of sit-ups in various positions.

I don't have a lot of time to workout but I found that this class packs the most into one hour than I found doing other things.

I made the teacher laugh the other day when she asked me how I was doing and I replied: "My lactic acid is having a convention in my legs..."
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

I did a similiar course with weights and resistance bands. Kicked my ***. The instructor was a killer. I went with 10 pounds to start and switched to 12 later. They feel like 100 by the end of the class. Abs are the worst.

I've always found that nothing replaces running. I hate it, but I love the results. Good shoes are imperative to prevent shin splints. Stop using them (for runs) after 250 miles or one year, even if they don't look worn out. Once the heel padding starts to go, they're no good.