The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Taunting in the NFL

I just saw DeSean Jackson catch a 50 yard pass, then taunt the other team after he ran out of bounds. There was also a live ball foul on the defense for illegal hands. I don't know NFL rules too well, but I do think they don't allow live ball/dead ball enforcements. Therefore, the fouls offset and the play had to go over.

Just wondering, could the eagles have declined the defensive foul, tear the 50 yard gain then have the 15 for taunting enforced and still end up with 35 yards?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 09:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post
I just saw DeSean Jackson catch a 50 yard pass, then taunt the other team after he ran out of bounds. There was also a live ball foul on the defense for illegal hands. I don't know NFL rules too well, but I do think they don't allow live ball/dead ball enforcements. Therefore, the fouls offset and the play had to go over.

Just wondering, could the eagles have declined the defensive foul, tear the 50 yard gain then have the 15 for taunting enforced and still end up with 35 yards?
No. The NFL rulebook is online and I looked it up.

Amazingly enough, the Eagles are penalized *because* the defense fouled on the play. Absent that foul, it would be enforced as a dead ball foul and the Eagles would've gained 35 yards. Because the defense fouled, it's considered a double foul and the down must be replayed. No option.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Of all the inconsistencies in the rules applications in the NFL (for example, OPI), taunting is, to me, the most inconsistent.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

No, live ball and dead ball foul combine to create a double foul situation under NFL rules. The only time this isn't true is if the offensive foul is a delay of game penalty for spiking the ball after a play. In that case, they could decline the penalty against the defense, and have the dead ball delay of game penalty enforced.

Interestingly enough, if the Giants would have just committed a penalty that was only five yards instead of the illegal use of hands (5+auto first down), then this would be a 15 v. 5 situation and the USC would be enforced from the previous spot (if there's a double foul with no change of possesion where one is a 15 yard penalty and the other is a five yard penalty, then the 5 is disregarded and the 15 yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot...even if there's a score).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Nov 21, 2011 at 12:33am.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 10:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
No, live ball and dead ball foul combine to create a double foul situation under NFL rules. The only time this isn't true is if the offensive foul is a delay of game penalty for spiking the ball after a play. In that case, they could decline the penalty against the defense, and have the dead ball delay of game penalty enforced.

Interestingly enough, if the Giants would have just committed a penalty that was only five yards instead of the illegal use of hands (5+auto first down), then this would be a 15 v. 5 situation and the USC would be enforced from the previous spot (if there's a double foul with no change of possesion where one is a 15 yard penalty and the other is a five yard penalty, then the 5 is disregarded and the 15 yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot...even if there's a score).
This is a terrible, terrible rule, BTW. One place where the NFHS has it completely right.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This is a terrible, terrible rule, BTW. One place where the NFHS has it completely right.
Which one? The live+dead ball=double foul or 15 v. 5?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post

CANADIAN RULING:

The Canadian Ruling has the right approach. Taunting is applied after all other fouls are considered. Our approach to illegal hands is 15 yards, but only if they're "to the face". The 10 yards for the taunt is then taken away, giving a net of 5 yards in A's favour, plus an AFD.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Which one? The live+dead ball=double foul or 15 v. 5?
The live ball / dead ball = double foul. Rewards the defense for fouling.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The live ball / dead ball = double foul. Rewards the defense for fouling.
I guess you could just say that the offense should not have fouled on the play.

And with their (offensive) penalty being a dead penalty, it means the foul was a USC or personal foul which are easy enough to avoid. The only other dead ball penalty an offensive team would realistically be called for is the dead ball delay for spiking the ball, and in that case they could decline the defensive penalty.