The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

Based on the bare bone words used to describe the play, I cannot agree that this is DPI. It's OPI to me. If you want to change the play to make it more a DPI, then so be it. But as it stands, this play goes against team-A.
I became curious on how to categorize this play according to the guidelines put out by the NFL on OPI.

Three guidelines:
- Blocking downfield
- Shoving or pushing off defender
- Driving through the defender

The answer is the latter.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

I think PI has is closely tied to INTENT and/or advantage gained.

In the original question, we don't know if the defender

1. was just standing there and was run into.
2. was physically screening the offensive player from moving toward the pass.

In my opinion, #1 would likely be a no-call if I felt the offensive player just accidentally ran into the defender. I'd had OPI if the offensive player altered his path to run into the defender or showed some intent to gain an advantage through his actions. In #2, I think this would likely be DPI if the pass was in the air.

I interpretted the original question to mean that the play was similar to situation #2.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

If B85 is standing there attempting to make a play on the ball, then I agree that it would probably be OPI. But, if he's just standing there (not playing the ball) and his sole purpose in doing so is to cut off A's path to the ball, then I contend that this sounds like DPI.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

NF versus NCAA...

Sounds like a NF and NCAA rule difference.

My mentor (who does NCAA and NF) said NCAA rules require contact for PI to be called.

In NF, I know that the rules support calling PI on B if B is just standing there and blocks A's path to the ball. In fact, there is a picture in the illustrated rules book that supports this.

Therefore, in order for B to avoid the DPI call, he had better be making a bona fide effort to move towards and catch the pass...

Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: NF versus NCAA...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Sounds like a NF and NCAA rule difference.

My mentor (who does NCAA and NF) said NCAA rules require contact for PI to be called.

He's correct.NCAA AR 7-3-8 which describes the classic face guarding by the defender, but includes a "bump" which is the contact the rule requires.

Quote:

In NF, I know that the rules support calling PI on B if B is just standing there and blocks A's path to the ball. In fact, there is a picture in the illustrated rules book that supports this.

Therefore, in order for B to avoid the DPI call, he had better be making a bona fide effort to move towards and catch the pass...

Are we looking at the same picture, pg 63, 7-5-10a in the 2002 S&I manual?
That depicts DPI on team-B player #50 because the team-A player #85 is the one standing there as he is entitled to hold that spot.
However, I think the intent is that the rule applies to team-B being able to just stand there and hold his position. He might not even see the receiver moving his way. It will take more than just standing there before I'm going to judge that is intentions were to block the path of the receiver.

[Edited by Theisey on Apr 30th, 2003 at 09:22 PM]
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: NF versus NCAA...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Theisey
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Simonds
[B]

Are we looking at the same picture, pg 63, 7-5-10a in the 2002 S&I manual?
That depicts DPI on team-B player #50 because the team-A player #85 is the one standing there as he is entitled to hold that spot.
However, I think the intent is that the rule applies to team-B being able to just stand there and hold his position. He might not even see the receiver moving his way. It will take more than just standing there before I'm going to judge that is intentions were to block the path of the receiver.

[Edited by Ed Hickland on May 1st, 2003 at 11:05 PM]
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up "Letter of the law versus spirit of the law"

Great points Ed and TH. Before we penalize B we need to judge his intentions. Maybe he was looking at another receiver and just happened to get in the way...