Thread: options
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with Jim on both counts here.

Both Federation and NCAA codes specify that K cannot impede R's opportunity to catch a kick. That includes impeding his ability to move toward the kick. Federation rules say that K may not "...obstruct R's path to the ball." NCAA rules removed the 2 yd. halo this season, making it now very similar to the Federation code, and we've yet to see the new interpretations related to kick catching interference. But I'm willing to bet that standing still in the way of a receiver moving toward a kick will likewise be ruled as interference just like in Federation ball.

Same is true in a passing situation: Federation rules say that a player cannot "...interfere with an eligible opponent's opportunity to move toward, catch, or bat the pass." NCAA rules define defensive pass interference as "...contact beyond the neutral zone by a
Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass."
If it's clear that the B player is not playing the ball and is standing in his position with the intention of blocking A's path to the ball, that would be DPI.

I'll come back with my answers to Jim's post assuming that all of this contact is illegal.