Thread: options
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
James, I am not completely sure that I award a fair catch if indeed K85 was actually just standing there

Why not? NF 6-5-6 says in part. “ While any scrimmage kick is in flight beyond the NZ to the receiver’s goal line, K shall not touch the ball or R, unless blocked into the ball or R or to ward off a blocker, NOR OBSTRUCT R’S PATH TO THE BALL. (caps are mine). This prohibition applies even when no fair-catch signal is given”

I don't believe we lift this restriction just because the K player isn’t moving.

[/i]but either way in the forward pass, we have an incomplete pass, K85 is entitled to a spot on the field in both cases, as long as he established it legally. [/QUOTE]
I respectfully disagree with you on this one NF 7-5-10a “It is forward pass interference if; Any player of A or B who is beyond the NZ interferes with an eligible opponents opportunity to MOVE TOWARD, catch or bat a pass.”(again caps are mine)

The fact that a player has legally established himself a spot on the field is irreverent if his positioning interferers with a receiver's opportunity to move toward a kick or pass he‘s trying to catch. In other words QUIT STANDING AROUND AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY! 8^)