The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Multiple fouls on scrimmage kick

This happened to my crew Friday night....I just want to make sure we got the penalty enforcement correct.

K1 punts from the 50 yard line. R1 fields the punt at his own 20 yard line. R2 blocks in the back at the 15 yard line. As R1 is being tackled at his 30 yard line, K2 grabs and twists R1's facemask. After the whistle blows and everyone is unpiling, K2 gives a rough shove to R1 as he is getting up. So we have three flags on the ground....block in the back, 15-yard facemask, and a dead ball personal foul. How do you enforce?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I am assuming that the block in the back was after the kick ended. Therefore, you would have offsetting live ball fouls, and replay the down. You would enforce the deadball fall from the 50. Since you did not provide distance it will either be 4th down at the R 35 or 1st down at the R35.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

If R wants to keep the ball they decline the facemask. The block in the back would be enforced half the distance from the 15. Then add on the 15 for the dead ball personal foul so 1st and 10 from 22 1/2 yd for R.

R could also accept the facemask in which case the two live ball fouls would offset, so would replay 4th down. You would; however, assess the 15 yard dead ball personal foul, so would be 4 down from the K35.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 08:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post
This happened to my crew Friday night....I just want to make sure we got the penalty enforcement correct.

K1 punts from the 50 yard line. R1 fields the punt at his own 20 yard line. R2 blocks in the back at the 15 yard line. As R1 is being tackled at his 30 yard line, K2 grabs and twists R1's facemask. After the whistle blows and everyone is unpiling, K2 gives a rough shove to R1 as he is getting up. So we have three flags on the ground....block in the back, 15-yard facemask, and a dead ball personal foul. How do you enforce?
Team R gets the ball with clean hands so they have the option of keeping the ball. To do so, they would have to decline K's face mask penalty. K would then have the option to accept or decline the BIB penalty. After that, you enforce the dead ball PF from the succeeding spot.

If R accepts the penalty for the facemask, the fouls will offset, the dead ball foul would be enforced and the down would be replayed. This would probably be the most advantageous option for R.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegenref View Post

CANADIAN RULING:

The fouls are enforced from the Point Of Application (POA) of the first foul. That spot is Point Ball Held (PBH) when the BIB occurred. BIB is a 15 yarder, as is the FM. Those distances offset. Then apply the 15-yard UR against K.

Team B 1D/10 @ PBH(BIB)+15.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
I am assuming that the block in the back was after the kick ended. Therefore, you would have offsetting live ball fouls, and replay the down. You would enforce the deadball fall from the 50. Since you did not provide distance it will either be 4th down at the R 35 or 1st down at the R35.
K committed the DBF, so it's going to be 4th down regardless.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
Not inf NFHS rules. I think tomes1978 and Wepe have it correct.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
K committed the DBF, so it's going to be 4th down regardless.
Mike - is that an NCAA enforcement?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Not inf NFHS rules. I think tomes1978 and Wepe have it correct.
Your right. I got my K's and R's confused.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Mike - is that an NCAA enforcement?
No. It's not an enforcement at all. It was me clarifying to him that the penalty was against K - they weren't going to get a first down out of it regardless of anything else we were talking about... he had it backward.

West Houston Mike