The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule - dead ball on first down

Has the ending of the SC - Auburn game been discussed here? If so, the thread title isn't obvious. If not, I'm surprised.

I have no fan or other affiliation with either team, but I am curious about how the rule is administered when a first down is achieved. (I have only a fan's knowledge of football rules...)

It seems to me the dead ball can be administered either immediately upon the player being down or upon the official's signal.

Of course, if SC had done a better job of clock management, it would not have come down to that, but I was wondering... how is the rule actually administered?
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Dakota,

I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you describe the situation and what happened that you want to discuss? I am not in that part of the country and do not care what happens in most of those games so not all of us watched that game of saw the situation. A little help with the details would be helpful to answer your question.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

SC was behind 13-16 and attempting to drive for at least a tying field goal. On the final play of the game, they completed a pass down the middle for a first down, close enough to at least attempt a field goal, but time expired. There were ~2 sec on the clock as the receiver's knee touched the turf, but the clock expired.

Controversial ending for South Carolina in loss to Auburn
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

The clock should not stop until the officials signal for a time out and would start again on the ready for play. I think this is subject to review but 2 seconds elapsed is not a lot of time for this type of situation. I'm not sure SC could get another snap off anyways considering the clock would be wound on the ready.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Actually there was one second on the clock (real clock, not the TV clock which is not official) and the officials had not yet got to the spot to stop the clock. I guess they could have played that one second, but not knowing exactly what the timing rules says at this time about a second running off the clock (I remember this being reviewed before), I am not sure. Then again SC would have had to stop the clock again likely to even have a chance at a FG. This was just bad management of the clock by SC and even if they put a second on the clock I do not see the outcome changing.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:12pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The clock should not stop until the officials signal for a time out and would start again on the ready for play. I think this is subject to review but 2 seconds elapsed is not a lot of time for this type of situation. I'm not sure SC could get another snap off anyways considering the clock would be wound on the ready.
Similar thing happened to WSU in the 1998 Rose Bowl. Completed pass down the sideline for a first down (and an OPI WSU got away with). Tackle inbounds. Clock stopped with 2 seconds left. After the RFP, snap, spike, 2 seconds ran off the clock. Game over.

As a young official at the time, I knew that wasn't unreasonable. A is supposed to be set for 1 sec after the RFP. Snap and spike and stopping the clock another second. I don't think 2 secs is enough to get a play off.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
A is supposed to be set for 1 sec after the RFP
The RFP has nothing to do with illegal shifts.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
This is a fine point which way too many officials do not understand. Many more have been confused this year thanks to the NCAA rule change which now makes SOME illegal shifts, dead ball false starts. really screwing with guy's minds
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 05:49pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
You are right. I was thinking of A rushing to the line. In these sits, the U usually backs off with R signaling the RFP. The center settling on the ball is nearly coincident with RFP.

I apologize for any confusion on the point.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the explanation, guys.