The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Holding on return, where is it enforced?

I was watching the Packers/Rams game, and the Packers had 2 guys hold during their return. Well Ed Hoculi said that the penalty will be enforced from the dead ball spot. I thought the penalty is always enforced from where the hold took place? Of course, if the hold takes place 10+ yards in front of the returner, that wouldn't make any sense, because the penalty would actually help them. So how is holding on a return enforced?
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
I was watching the Packers/Rams game, and the Packers had 2 guys hold during their return. Well Ed Hoculi said that the penalty will be enforced from the dead ball spot. I thought the penalty is always enforced from where the hold took place? Of course, if the hold takes place 10+ yards in front of the returner, that wouldn't make any sense, because the penalty would actually help them. So how is holding on a return enforced?
Was the dead ball spot behind the spot of the penalty? If that is the case (and I believe that was what happened and I was not paying that close attention), then that is where the ball is enforced. To my knowledge this rule is exactly the same in the NFL as it is at the other levels when it comes to an enforcement on a penalty on a free kick.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

If it's during the return, the basic spot of enforcement is the dead ball spot. The only time a penalty will be enforced from the spot of the foul is if the offensive foul is behind the dead ball spot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, so it's enforced from the ball or the infraction point, whichever is further back, that makes sense. Always interesting where they spot the foul though, because with the ball carrier running quickly, and the 2 people involved in the penalty moving, it can be difficult I'm sure.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 09:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
Ah, so it's enforced from the ball or the infraction point, whichever is further back, that makes sense. Always interesting where they spot the foul though, because with the ball carrier running quickly, and the 2 people involved in the penalty moving, it can be difficult I'm sure.
Everyone is not watching the ball, so it should not be that difficult if officials are doing their job and watching their personal responsibilities.

Peace