The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Uncle Ernie's March Quiz

Well boys ,Uncle Ernie is at it again . He sent me the March quiz a cupple of days ago .I just sent him my answers and am very intersted in hereing what you guys have to say . Have fun !

1. A 4/5 on A40. A13 punts the ball and B22 catches the punt on B's 36 and is subsequently tackled on B's 44. While the kick was in the air, B56 held at the B35.

2. A 4/6 on A40. A8's shanked punt rolls out of bounds on B's 36. During the kick B96 holds at the B38.

3. A 4/10 A40. A99's punt is high. B45 is in position to make a catch at the B30. Just as B45 is receiving the punt (touching the ball) A25 "de-cleats" him with a ferocious hit, causing him to muff the ball. The ball is subsequently recovered by A45 on the B25.

4. A 4/3 on the B44. B22 muffs the punt on B's 8 and downs the punt in B's end zone. During the kick, B95 blocks A85 below the waist at the B16

5. A 4/6 B25. A8's punt hits B's goal line pylon. During the kick, B87 grabs and twists A32's facemask at the B25.

6. A 4/15 A40. A87 illegally touches the punt on B's 38. B22 recovers the ball while grounded on B's 34. During the kick B93 holds A75 at the B36.

7. A 2/5 A40. At the snap QB15 fades back to pass. A53 blocks B96 at the waist. A62 (who was adjacent to A53) tries to help and after a delay, blocks B96 at the knees. Both blocks occur in the neutral zone. QB15 then completes a pass to A88 at 50.

8. Same play as before, except this time A53's block is at the waist and A62's block is a delayed block at the thigh.

9. A 2/10 A40. After the snap, snapper A53 and nonadjacent tackle A78 block nose guard B96 in the neutral zone. A53's block is at the knee. A78's block is a simultaneous block at the knee. A32 is tackled for a loss at the A 35.

10. A 3/12, A32. QB A14's untouched legal forward pass is airborne over the 50 when an inadvertent whistle sounds. While the pass is in the air, B55 holds A88 on A's 36.

Old Sat Mar 15, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

In UEQQ 10, was the pass incomplete and when did the hold occur - before the whistle or after?
Old Sat Mar 15, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Question does it matter?

ABoss- I see why you're asking about the timing of the hold, but I can't see why it matters if the pass was complete or not. Am I missing something?

JN- on #3 does A25 obstruct B45's path to the ball before he nails him?

NF rules, right?
Old Sat Mar 15, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
In UEQQ 10, was the pass incomplete and when did the hold occur - before the whistle or after?
Once the whistle’s been blown the ball is dead and the plays over. So it doesn’t matter if the pass was caught or not. The hold occured while the pass is in the air and has to occur before the whistle otherwise it’s nothing. So I look at this as B55 saving the offending official's a$$ by committing DPI . If A accepts, the IW essentially goes away. We enforce as a loose ball play from the previous spot giving A 1/10 @ A- 47. Because of the IW we start the clock on the ready. If for some reason A wants to decline the penalty, the down must be replayed.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2003, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking NF

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
JN- on #3 does A25 obstruct B45's path to the ball before he nails him?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"B45 is in position to make a catch at the B30" !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NF rules, right?....sure

Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Uncle Ernie's March Quiz

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Well boys ,Uncle Ernie is at it again . He sent me the March quiz a cupple of days ago .I just sent him my answers and am very intersted in hereing what you guys have to say . Have fun !
I love these quizzes. Keeps my mind on football all year long. Thanks for posting these!

Quote:

1. A 4/5 on A40. A13 punts the ball and B22 catches the punt on B's 36 and is subsequently tackled on B's 44. While the kick was in the air, B56 held at the B35.
(If using PSK) End of kick is the B-36. Hold occured behind end of kick so we enforce from the spot of the hold. B's ball 1/10 from B-25.

Quote:

2. A 4/6 on A40. A8's shanked punt rolls out of bounds on B's 36. During the kick B96 holds at the B38.

Another PSK play. End of kick is the B-36. Hold was ahead of basic spot, so we enforce the penalty from the basic spot (the B-36). B's ball 1/10 at the B-26.

Quote:

3. A 4/10 A40. A99's punt is high. B45 is in position to make a catch at the B30. Just as B45 is receiving the punt (touching the ball) A25 "de-cleats" him with a ferocious hit, causing him to muff the ball. The ball is subsequently recovered by A45 on the B25.
I believe the rule states that B must be given an unhindered opportunity to CATCH the ball. Touching precedes possession so if it was THAT close, I'm ruling on the side of safety and throwing my flag for KCI (at the B-30). If I think it is flagrant, I'm also ejecting the offender (even if penalty is NOT accepted).

This is NOT a PSK play because B is not in possession at the end of the down.

B's Options (besides for accepting penalty)
1. Awarded fair catch at spot of interference.
2. Penalize A 15 yards from previous spot and replay 4th down.

I'll answer the others a little later when I have a little more time.

Thanks for posting these!

Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Uncle Ernie's March Quiz

Quote:

I believe the rule states that B must be given an unhindered opportunity to CATCH the ball.

[/B][/QUOTE]
That was my first thought too Mike. But the only “unhindered opportunity” references I’ve found so far pertain to PI restrictions. What I did find was NF> 6-5-6, and it states in part "While any scrimmage kick is in flight K shall not touch the ball or R unless blocked into the ball or R or to ward off a blocker , nor obstruct R's path to the ball “.
If B45 is already in position to make a catch and is touching the ball before A25 "de-cleats" him I see no reason to penalize K for a well timed hit as long as the contact is legal. So my final ruling on this one was K 1/10 @ R-25 , clock on snap

Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thank you Uncle Ernie!

1. B's ball 1st and 10 at B's 25 yard line.
2. B's ball 1st and 10 at B's 26 yard line.
3. A's ball 1st and 10 at B's 25 yard line.
4. B's ball 1st and 10 at B's 8 yard line.
5. A's ball 1st and 10 at B's 12 1/2 yard line.
6. A's ball 4th and 15 at A's 40 yard line.
7. A's ball 2nd and 20 at A's 25 yard line.
8. A's ball 1st and 10 at 50 yard line.
9. A's ball 3rd and 15 at A's 35 yard line.
10. Foul is before IW: A's ball 1st and 10 at A's 47 y.l.
10. Hold is after IW: A's ball 3rd and 12 at A's 32 yard line.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Clock.

1-6, 10: Snap.
7-9: Ready.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thank you Uncle Ernie!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds

Mike , how can you have holding after an IW ?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Uncle Ernie's March Quiz

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the rule states that B must be given an unhindered opportunity to CATCH the ball.

That was my first thought too Mike. But the only “unhindered opportunity” references I’ve found so far pertain to PI restrictions. What I did find was NF> 6-5-6, and it states in part "While any scrimmage kick is in flight K shall not touch the ball or R unless blocked into the ball or R or to ward off a blocker , nor obstruct R's path to the ball “.
If B45 is already in position to make a catch and is touching the ball before A25 "de-cleats" him I see no reason to penalize K for a well timed hit as long as the contact is legal. So my final ruling on this one was K 1/10 @ R-25 , clock on snap

[/B][/QUOTE]

You are right. I always try to do these without my rulebook and this one bit me. If the receiver wants protection, he should signal for a fair catch, right?

Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Clarification...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds

Mike , how can you have holding after an IW ?
Yo! I meant to say that the holding is ignored (no foul) because of the IW. Thanks for asking...

Also, I missed the clock answer on the IW. The clock starts on the ready (case play #10).
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Uncle Ernie #3...

According to Federation rules, it certainly seems that this is a legal hit since NF 6-5-6 states that the prohibition against hitting R is removed "...after a scrimmage kick has been touched by a receiver who was clearly beyond the neutral zone at the time of touching."

The NCAA rule (6-4-1) does indeed say that the receiver "must be given an unimpeded opportunity to catch the kick." But, in the same rule, they also say that this protection terminates "when the kick touches the ground or is touched by any player of Team B beyond the neutral zone." However, the new 2003 NCAA rule which eliminates the halo says the when the receiver signals for a fair catch, he remains "protected" even if he muffs the kick into the air. That protection continues until the muffed kick touches the ground.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question Question on #6.

Bob M raised a question in my mind regarding case play #6:

If I understand the new PSK rules correctly, my original answer on #6 is incorrect. Under PSK rules, the only time that the penalty will be assessed from the previous spot and A/K replay the down will be if there is a foul by B/R in or behind the neutral zone. In case play #6 B/R's foul occurs beyond the neutral zone during a scrimmage kick.

So Bob M. is correct: If A/K declines penalty for B/R's foul its B/R's ball at the spot of first touching (B/R's 38 yardline). If A/K accepts the penalty for B/R's foul its B/R's ball 1st and 10 from B/R's 24 yardline.

My bad...

Oh yeah, the clock... On the snap...
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

See what you think,

I am nieve when it comes to PSK fouls, but, I did not see a reply to #6 that satisfied me.

If this is NF--
1. There is no such thing as A87 illegally touching a punt at the B38. It is first touching.

2. B cannot use the spot of 1st touching since A will more than likely accept the penalty for the hold.

3. All other requirements for PSK are met. Enforcement spot is the B34 (I guess he was downed when he recovered the ball)

4. B Ball...1/10....B24

HELP!!!!!