View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Uncle Ernie's March Quiz

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil

Quote:

3. A 4/10 A40. A99's punt is high. B45 is in position to make a catch at the B30. Just as B45 is receiving the punt (touching the ball) A25 "de-cleats" him with a ferocious hit, causing him to muff the ball. The ball is subsequently recovered by A45 on the B25.
I believe the rule states that B must be given an unhindered opportunity to CATCH the ball.

That was my first thought too Mike. But the only “unhindered opportunity” references I’ve found so far pertain to PI restrictions. What I did find was NF> 6-5-6, and it states in part "While any scrimmage kick is in flight K shall not touch the ball or R unless blocked into the ball or R or to ward off a blocker , nor obstruct R's path to the ball “.
If B45 is already in position to make a catch and is touching the ball before A25 "de-cleats" him I see no reason to penalize K for a well timed hit as long as the contact is legal. So my final ruling on this one was K 1/10 @ R-25 , clock on snap

[/B][/QUOTE]

You are right. I always try to do these without my rulebook and this one bit me. If the receiver wants protection, he should signal for a fair catch, right?