The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 20, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I am nieve when it comes to PSK fouls, but, I did not see a reply to #6 that satisfied me.

If this is NF--
1. There is no such thing as A87 illegally touching a punt at the B38. It is first touching.

2. B cannot use the spot of 1st touching since A will more than likely accept the penalty for the hold.

3. All other requirements for PSK are met. Enforcement spot is the B34 (I guess he was downed when he recovered the ball)

4. B Ball...1/10....B24

HELP!!!!!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Tbone...it's just terminology...

Tbone, It's a question of semantics: In Federation, it's called "first touching;" in NCAA, it's referred to as "illegal touching." It's the same thing and, with one minor difference, it's treated the same way. So your assessment of #2 is correct: B, 1-10 @ B's 24 is the most likely outcome. Of course, if A declines the penalty, B will get the ball at his 38 as a result of A's first/illegal touching.

IN CASE YOU'RE INTERESTED...The difference in how first touching is handled in the two codes revolves around the Federation statement that says the R's right to take the ball at the spot of first touching is cancelled "if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul..." According to this if R touches the kick and then fouls, they lose the right to their first touch option even if K declines the penalty for R's foul. In NCAA rules, that's not the case. B loses the right to take the ball at the spot of the illegal touch only when "...there are offsetting fouls or if a penalty incurred by either team before the ball becomes dead is enforced."