View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 16, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Uncle Ernie's March Quiz

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Well boys ,Uncle Ernie is at it again . He sent me the March quiz a cupple of days ago .I just sent him my answers and am very intersted in hereing what you guys have to say . Have fun !
I love these quizzes. Keeps my mind on football all year long. Thanks for posting these!

Quote:

1. A 4/5 on A40. A13 punts the ball and B22 catches the punt on B's 36 and is subsequently tackled on B's 44. While the kick was in the air, B56 held at the B35.
(If using PSK) End of kick is the B-36. Hold occured behind end of kick so we enforce from the spot of the hold. B's ball 1/10 from B-25.

Quote:

2. A 4/6 on A40. A8's shanked punt rolls out of bounds on B's 36. During the kick B96 holds at the B38.

Another PSK play. End of kick is the B-36. Hold was ahead of basic spot, so we enforce the penalty from the basic spot (the B-36). B's ball 1/10 at the B-26.

Quote:

3. A 4/10 A40. A99's punt is high. B45 is in position to make a catch at the B30. Just as B45 is receiving the punt (touching the ball) A25 "de-cleats" him with a ferocious hit, causing him to muff the ball. The ball is subsequently recovered by A45 on the B25.
I believe the rule states that B must be given an unhindered opportunity to CATCH the ball. Touching precedes possession so if it was THAT close, I'm ruling on the side of safety and throwing my flag for KCI (at the B-30). If I think it is flagrant, I'm also ejecting the offender (even if penalty is NOT accepted).

This is NOT a PSK play because B is not in possession at the end of the down.

B's Options (besides for accepting penalty)
1. Awarded fair catch at spot of interference.
2. Penalize A 15 yards from previous spot and replay 4th down.

I'll answer the others a little later when I have a little more time.

Thanks for posting these!